[SOLVED] Help me choose a decent Router

Avik_b123

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2014
I'm going to upgrade my router. Recently I've started streaming games. Nothing fancy, just regular stuff e.g. 720P@60FPS.

I have a 2 PC setup. One for the game and the other for the stream. I use OBS Studio (NDI Plugin).

Now I have a very old router which has 100 Mbps LAN ports. But this is bottlenecking when the footage is being transferred from game PC to stream PC. So I guess I have to upgrade to a router which has Gigabit LAN Ports.

Was planning to buy the TP-link Archer C6. Please suggest any other models if you think this is not an adequate/compatible hardware w.r.t. streaming. But please keep in mind I do not have a very high budget to buy something like the Asus ROG Rapture GT-AC2900.

Solution
What's your ISP download and upload speeds?

Asus with Merlin Firmware as Kanewolf said is my recommendation as well. If you don't have much upload bandwidth, the FQ_Codel algorithm really helps alot. Cheapest ones are the AC68U and AX56U

If you just need a router and have your own access point, the Ubiquity Edge Router X is great for $60 up to 100mbps internet with FQ_Codel algorithm. It has gigabit ports for inside the LAN.

kanewolf

Titan
I'm going to upgrade my router. Recently I've started streaming games. Nothing fancy, just regular stuff e.g. 720P@60FPS.

I have a 2 PC setup. One for the game and the other for the stream. I use OBS Studio (NDI Plugin).

Now I have a very old router which has 100 Mbps LAN ports. But this is bottlenecking when the footage is being transferred from game PC to stream PC. So I guess I have to upgrade to a router which has Gigabit LAN Ports.

Was planning to buy the TP-link Archer C6. Please suggest any other models if you think this is not an adequate/compatible hardware w.r.t. streaming. But please keep in mind I do not have a very high budget to buy something like the Asus ROG Rapture GT-AC2900.
Are you using wired networking for both PCs? If so, almost any gigabit router will do.

What's your ISP download and upload speeds?

Asus with Merlin Firmware as Kanewolf said is my recommendation as well. If you don't have much upload bandwidth, the FQ_Codel algorithm really helps alot. Cheapest ones are the AC68U and AX56U

If you just need a router and have your own access point, the Ubiquity Edge Router X is great for $60 up to 100mbps internet with FQ_Codel algorithm. It has gigabit ports for inside the LAN.

Reactions: Avik_b123
Solution