Question Help me choose a motherboard for my RAM!

suzic1994

Prominent
Jun 19, 2018
Heya! I have following components:
HyperX Fury 1x16gb
GTX 1070 OC
i78700
Asus ROG Strix z370-f gaming.
The motherboard stopped working and im getting my money back and looking to buy a new one. (since my RAM and that MB were not compatible in the 1st place it seems). So I'm looking to buy a decent MB for the existing components I've given. Budget would be around $300. Thanks in advance people!

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
What do you mean your RAM and MB are not compatible?

Please provide your full system spec, including PSU, cooler etc - AND the full model number for your RAM.
Unless you have DDR3, a DDR4 16GB module should be compatible with that motherboard.

If they were not compatible they wouldn't "stop" working, they'd never work to begin with

suzic1994

Prominent
Jun 19, 2018
What do you mean your RAM and MB are not compatible?

Please provide your full system spec, including PSU, cooler etc - AND the full model number for your RAM.
Unless you have DDR3, a DDR4 16GB module should be compatible with that motherboard.

If they were not compatible they wouldn't "stop" working, they'd never work to begin with
HyperX 16GB Fury Black DDR4 3200MHz CL18 HX432C18FB/16 - this is the RAM I have.
COOLERMASTER Hyper 212 EVO
My PSU is - super flower sf-650p-14p black edition 650w
Samsung SSD 850 EVO
Windows 10
Btw sorry I did not mention it clearly that I managed to get my RAM to work only when I used some other RAM memory to get my PC to boot and then update the drivers of the MB. Then only did I manage to put in the original RAM I bought and made it work.

suzic1994

Prominent
Jun 19, 2018
Yeah.... that module should certainly be compatible with any Z370 motherboard.

Do you have an i7-8700 or an 8700K ? If only the 8700, then you could opt for B360 or H370 rather than Z370 (as you cannot OC a non-K CPU).
An option for B360, H370 and Z370:
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/Vys8TW,m3m323,PgQG3C/
I thought it should run okay too, but it seems that its not compatible with the ROG Strix version - http://prntscr.com/n2txdp
Its okay with the Kit of 2x8, but it seems that only one module is not compatible. My CPU is 8700, non overclockable one. If you have anymore suggestions on motherboards I would very much appreciate it. These seem completly fine I was just excited to spend an extra buck so I decided to spend around $300 on that component solely.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Its okay with the Kit of 2x8, but it seems that only one module is not compatible. My CPU is 8700, non overclockable one. If you have anymore suggestions on motherboards I would very much appreciate it. These seem completly fine I was just excited to spend an extra buck so I decided to spend around $300 on that component solely.

You purposely want to spend ~$300 on a replacement motherboard??

I mean, there are options at that pricepoint.... Nice options... But for a locked 8700, they seem ridiculously overkill.
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/G9WfrH,s27v6h,FgyV3C,Gj97YJ/

TRENDING THREADS