Question Help me choose a new laptop ?

Dec 17, 2022
Hi everyone
I start by telling you that I've always been a windows user, but lately I have a lot of desire to switch to apple.
After the last purchase, a 1500 euro's MSI, that gave me a lot of problems, high temperatures, battery that during half hour, the display that opened without ever falling, the keyboard didnt work after few time.. this just after 3 years :\.
now I'm looking for a decent laptop that will during at least 5 years and doesn't have all this problems also because I'm fed up..
So I was looking around, and with the advent of the m1, if before I had no doubts about windows or apple now I'm starting to hesitate.

So I ask you for help, the prerogatives are not high temperatures and a long lasting battery, I tend to use it for daily use (netflix, youtube, university) and graphic work, I use the adobe suite.
i dont care much about gaming, if before it was something I went looking for, now it doesn't interest me that much.. ah, I'd like it to be low, and not weigh so much..
I attach great importance to the display.

what do you think of macbooks? is it worth it? is it true that they last longer than windows?
please give me some clarifications.

thank you in advance

P.S: sorry for my english

Hi everyone
I start by telling you that I've always been a windows user, but lately I have a lot of desire to switch to apple.
After the last purchase, a 1500 euro's MSI, that gave me a lot of problems, high temperatures, battery that during half hour, the display that opened without ever falling, the keyboard didnt work after few time.. this just after 3 years :\.
now I'm looking for a decent laptop that will during at least 5 years and doesn't have all this problems also because I'm fed up..
So I was looking around, and with the advent of the m1, if before I had no doubts about windows or apple now I'm starting to hesitate.

So I ask you for help, the prerogatives are not high temperatures and a long lasting battery, I tend to use it for daily use (netflix, youtube, university) and graphic work, I use the adobe suite.
i dont care much about gaming, if before it was something I went looking for, now it doesn't interest me that much.. ah, I'd like it to be low, and not weigh so much..
I attach great importance to the display.

what do you think of macbooks? is it worth it? is it true that they last longer than windows?
please give me some clarifications.

thank you in advance

P.S: sorry for my english
What is your budget and what in the Adobe suite are you doing? If you’re going apple I would look at the 14” Pro rather than the base M1, the M2 probably would serve you better than the M1 base chip too with its updated media engine that it shares with the M1 Pro and higher.

With Macs the battery will be better, you’ll get the same performance on battery and they are rapid at the workloads they are designed for. “Lasting longer” I don’t really know what to say. Officially they’ll get less OS support as they get moved off of OS updates after 5~ years currently but that may change with the update the Apple Silicon. Hardware durability wise aside from some issues with the butterfly keyboard (2016-2019) they’re solid with people still using 2012 Pros today.

Last edited:
Reactions: AkuuAkuu
Dec 17, 2022
Well, im gonna using photoshop, lightroom, indesign, illustrator and premiere.
i heard that M2 are more slow about M1 and have high temp? it is true?
so you recommend an apple?
what could be a good alternative with windows? whereas I want long battery and low temperatures ?

Dec 17, 2022
I want to say that I have never had an apple and I don't have any apple devices, do you think that any change will be tiring? and above all is it worth buying an M1 now more than a year after their release? I don't have a specific budget.

Well, im gonna using photoshop, lightroom, indesign, illustrator and premiere.
i heard that M2 are more slow about M1 and have high temp? it is true?
so you recommend an apple?
what could be a good alternative with windows? whereas I want long battery and low temperatures ?

MacOS isn’t hard to learn, there’s a few teething issues where things are different like keyboard shortcuts etc but for the most part Cmd+space brings up spotlight which is an actually useful search function that brings up anything you need settings, program of file wise. I also personally prefer Apples free office suite vs Office 365. There’s also a lot of how to guides and if you’re stuck you will find out how to do something quickly. Believe there’s also a basic how to guide when you first boot up too and one with every new OS version (as in moving from Catalina to Big Sur for example not from 11.65 to 11.66)

The M2 is hotter than the M1 but only in the Air not the 13” Pro which I wouldn’t get either if for you needs anyway. However I would recommend the 14” as the display is by far better as is the actual chip, battery life and I/O. You’re also not limited to 1 external display. You also get 16GB of RAM and 512GB of storage as standard on the base 14” vs 8 and 256 on the M2 models. Bumping the lower models to 16 and 512 puts them pretty much the same price as the base 14” pro. All the programs you’ve listed run natively on apple silicon chips too so will all perform well.

If you swap to MacOS and like it you might end up getting an iPhone, the ecosystem does work flawlessly and is wonderful to have, from the large things like sidecar and continuity down to little things like just sending links to people from MacOS safari to their iPhone over airdrop or messages through the share button.

Btw if you click reply and then respond it notifies people ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Nighthawk117
If you don't care about gaming and your using Adobe software, you want something that runs very cool, has great battery life. Then if you can afford it the Macbook Pro 14" is as good as your going to get in my mind. If you wanted something a little cheaper then the Macbook Pro 13" would be my next choice. I would favour the Pro over the air because it has active cooling.

Dec 17, 2022
MacOS isn’t hard to learn, there’s a few teething issues where things are different like keyboard shortcuts etc but for the most part Cmd+space brings up spotlight which is an actually useful search function that brings up anything you need settings, program of file wise. I also personally prefer Apples free office suite vs Office 365. There’s also a lot of how to guides and if you’re stuck you will find out how to do something quickly. Believe there’s also a basic how to guide when you first boot up too and one with every new OS version (as in moving from Catalina to Big Sur for example not from 11.65 to 11.66)

The M2 is hotter than the M1 but only in the Air not the 13” Pro which I would get either if for you needs anyway. However I would recommend the 14” as the display is by far better as is the actual chip, battery life and I/O. You’re also not limited to 1 external display. You also get 16GB of RAM and 512GB of storage as standard on the base 14” vs 8 and 256 on the M2 models. Bumping the lower models to 16 and 512 puts them pretty much the same price as the base 14” pro. All the programs you’ve listed run natively on apple silicon chips too so will all perform well.

If you swap to MacOS and like it you might end up getting an iPhone, the ecosystem does work flawlessly and is wonderful to have, from the large things like sidecar and continuity down to little things like just sending links to people from MacOS safari to their iPhone over airdrop or messages through the share button.

Btw if you click reply and then respond it notifies people ;)

oh thanks.
which could be the windows alternative? just out of curiosity...
but the real question is: exist a windows laptop that has these requirements including good battery, display, low temp and performance?

If you don't care about gaming and your using Adobe software, you want something that runs very cool, has great battery life. Then if you can afford it the Macbook Pro 14" is as good as your going to get in my mind. If you wanted something a little cheaper then the Macbook Pro 13" would be my next choice. I would favour the Pro over the air because it has active cooling.

so you guys think I shouldn't wait for the imminent release of the new macbook pros? calculating that for me € 2000 is already a limit threshold..

I also read that unlike windows, apple avoids updating its operating systems after some time, is it true? how does it work?

thanks

I also read that unlike windows, apple avoids updating its operating systems after some time, is it true? how does it work?
Typically several years of updates, you would probably get a bit longer with Windows because Windows 11 hasn't been out long and will be supported for 10 years.

so you guys think I shouldn't wait for the imminent release of the new macbook pros? calculating that for me € 2000 is already a limit threshold..
You can only buy what's available, it really depends on how desperate you are for a new machine. It's expected that the 14" and 16" models will be refreshed early next year, possibly with an M2 chip. How much more powerful it will be is difficult to say at this point. If it's an M2 based chip then it will perhaps be a more incremental upgrade.

Personally I would have no issues buying an M1 based Mac or Windows machine with 12th gen Intel or 6000 series AMD. All are very capable and will remain so for years to come. If your likely to have buyers remorse should something significantly better come along then maybe it's worth waiting.

Dec 17, 2022
Typically several years of updates, you would probably get a bit longer with Windows because Windows 11 hasn't been out long and will be supported for 10 years.

You can only buy what's available, it really depends on how desperate you are for a new machine. It's expected that the 14" and 16" models will be refreshed early next year, possibly with an M2 chip. How much more powerful it will be is difficult to say at this point. If it's an M2 based chip then it will perhaps be a more incremental upgrade.

Personally I would have no issues buying an M1 based Mac or Windows machine with 12th gen Intel or 6000 series AMD. All are very capable and will remain so for years to come. If your likely to have buyers remorse should something significantly better come along then maybe it's worth waiting.

thanks,
since buying the m1 pro is a fairly significant expense: around 2,300 euros, I'm trying to decide, I don't want a computer that I'll have to change in a couple of years..
if I will buy it, any advice? Do I have to buy USB-C adapter too to get more ports?
How do battery cycles work?

since buying the m1 pro is a fairly significant expense: around 2,300 euros, I'm trying to decide, I don't want a computer that I'll have to change in a couple of years..
I understand, it's difficult for me to judge as I don't run your workload, but I would expect a Macbook Pro to last a lot longer than 2 years. I would not buy 8GB's of RAM though, I would get at least 16GB.

if I will buy it, any advice? Do I have to buy USB-C adapter too to get more ports?
There are 3 Thunderbolt 4 ports which will work with any USB-C device. If you need more ports or to connect USB A devices then you will need a USB-C adapter with the relevant ports you need on it.

If your asking about battery charge cycles then it's the same as any other device with a lithium ion battery. There's only so many charge cycles they will do at the designed charge capacity. It will decline over time, normally a lithium ion battery is good for around 500 charge cycles at near full capacity. It's difficult to give a figure though because there are lots of variables that will affect how long a battery will last. Some batteries are simply better quality than others and will last longer. How you use your laptop, the climate your in and the temperatures the battery is exposed to will affect it's lifespan. Shallow charges from say 50% to 100% regularly is better for the battery than running it down to 0% and doing a full charge.

The batteries can be replaced though by Apple so it's not something that would factor into my purchasing decision.

You don't have to get Apple either, there are plenty of good Windows laptops that can be had for less. However if you want a machine that performs similarly both plugged in and on the battery with low temperatures then they are very good. You are paying a premium of course though.

Can I ask more about your workload, you say Adobe and graphics design, is this things like Photoshop and Illustrator? Do you do anything else like video editing, 3D modelling?

thanks,
It shouldn’t be that expensive. It’s £1700~ in the UK which is around 200 less than the list price on apples site I don’t know where you are but maybe look retailers not just apple.com, plus there might be new year sales. It will last longer than 2 years, I had an Intel MBP 16 for 3 and only replaced it to get the 14” pro as I found the Intel powered mac loud, hot, 16” was cumbersome and the good battery was demolished by the outstanding battery on the M1 14”. It wasn’t broken or slow but the new 14” and 16” are just so much better than the old Intel models it’s night and day.

I’d personally get a USBC dongle with A ports and Ethernet if you need that but the MBP 14 has MagSafe for charging, HDMI out and an SD card slot

Dec 17, 2022
I understand, it's difficult for me to judge as I don't run your workload, but I would expect a Macbook Pro to last a lot longer than 2 years. I would not buy 8GB's of RAM though, I would get at least 16GB.

yea, the one which cost 2300 € have 16gb from default

Dec 17, 2022
It shouldn’t be that expensive. It’s £1700~ in the UK which is around 200 less than the list price on apples site I don’t know where you are but maybe look retailers not just apple.com, plus there might be new year sales. It will last longer than 2 years, I had an Intel MBP 16 for 3 and only replaced it to get the 14” pro as I found the Intel powered mac loud, hot, 16” was cumbersome and the good battery was demolished by the outstanding battery on the M1 14”. It wasn’t broken or slow but the new 14” and 16” are just so much better than the old Intel models it’s night and day.

I’d personally get a USBC dongle with A ports and Ethernet if you need that but the MBP 14 has MagSafe for charging, HDMI out and an SD card slot
im from italy, i wont buy it online and in the shop the lowest is around 2180