[SOLVED] Help me choose a SSD

deadwalker

Honorable
Apr 1, 2015
Hello everyone, my pc is getting old and my storage is getting full, i figured now would be a good time to finally get a 1TB SSD as i'm tired of having to delete things or move them to an external drive in order to install new games, however i am having a hard time choosing the right ssd, i was hoping you guys could help me.

My Motherboard is a GA-Z97X-Gaming 5, from what i understand using a m.2 ssd would prevent me from using 2 of the SATA ports, however i am currently only using 3 so that should be fine.
I am not in the US, so prices and availability might wildly differ from what you would expect, with that in mind i have reduced my search to the following:

Adata SU800 SATA/ m.2 110/123 USD
WD blue 3D NAND SATA/m.2 124/ 116 USD
Crucial MX500 SATA/m.2 121/125 USD

My first choice would be the WD blue m.2,but is it compatible with my motherboard? i take it connecting it would not affect anything other than the SATA 4/5 (like the PCI lanes for example)?

If the m.2 is not compatible, should i go for the cheaper SU800 or is it worth paying extra for the Crucial MX500 or WD blue (non-m.2)?

Is it worth considering a cheaper ssd like the WD green? (i dont upgrade often, so it would have to last severalyears)

Solution
OK then, among your choices...

MX500
WD Blue

M.2 is fine, if you're aware of the potential port conflicts.

Disregard the ADATA and WD Green.

deadwalker

Honorable
Apr 1, 2015
Crucial MX500, in the 2.5" format.
M.2 makes zero performance difference.

Or the Samsung 860 EVO.
Currently, the same price as the MX500 in the 1TB size.

WD Green should be avoided at all costs.
Thank you,

I'm considering the m.2 because its easier to manage (i have too many cables already) and strangely the wd blue m.2 is cheaper than either the 2.5" and the MX500, but i have never used an m.2 drive and it makes me wary (i guess i finally reached the age where new technology is scary).

Unfortunately the Samsung 860 EVO is horribly overpriced at the moment in my country, so thats not an option, the 870 QVO is on sale, but i read its memory its less reliable.