Help me choose a workstation graphics card?

snakyjake

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Help me choose a workstation graphics card (meaning no gaming, just work)?

I'm building a amateur workstation where the primary use will be statistical computations (future GPU is possible), some photo editing using PhotoShop. No gaming.
Dual monitor, maybe triple.
This will be an Intel E5v4 2600 series platform.
Other factors are (at idle/low usage) noise, heat, power consumption.

The Intel E3v5 series uses the Intel HD Graphics P530, so I thought I would look for an equivalent or better from either nVidia, AMD, or other.

What is the recommended graphics card?

Thank you,
Jake

xXCrossfireXx

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016

First of all, thank you for providing information about what you'll be doing.

For photoshop, AMD usually performs better with it from what I've read. Correct me if I'm wrong. NVIDIA is usually better with games. This doesn't mean NVIDIA can't photo edit though, it still does a great job. If I were to suggest a card for you, it'd probably be the Radeon R9 280X if you're on a budget, and if you're not on a budget, the 980 Ti (this is a NVIDIA card, but the 980 Ti is a powerhouse in anything)

snakyjake

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009

That seems like a lot of GPU when compared to size/price/noise of the Intel P530. Not sure if I need all of it.

What about AMD's FirePro, other equivalent "workstation" graphic cards, or "desktop" equivalent graphics card?

xXCrossfireXx

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016

Forgot about FirePro, looks like something that'd be perfect for you. Check out this AMD article:

http://www.amd.com/en-us/solutions/professional/workstations/media-entertainment/adobe

xXCrossfireXx

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016

I did some looking around, I read that Photoshop works better with AMD cards, and uses OpenCL, which better supports AMD. Could be wrong though.