Question Help me choose: AMD mobo with 128+ GB RAM support, for 3D modeling / rendering

nathank9000

Prominent
Aug 15, 2023
Currently using an AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D 4.2 GHz on an ASRock X670E PRO motherboard.

Not 100% happy with it - 1.) VERY long POST process on bootup (2 red LEDs light up for like 3 minutes, then it boots fine; tried various troubleshooting, didn't have any effect), and 2.) It doesn't support more than 128 GB RAM, which I'm constantly hitting due to working in 3D modeling and rendering.

What motherboard / CPU combo should I look for, in the $ 500-1000 price range, that will give me a LOT of memory support (256-1TB hopefully), without breaking the bank?

Ideally, a motherboard that can handle 2 or more linked GPUs, so I could buy 2/3/4 of them and pool their VRAM for rendering. (Taking the "several cheap 1-year-old cards" route rather than "1 super-expensive cutting-edge card which will be 1/2 the price in 2 months").

Any advice?

Lutfij

Titan
1| How long is your POST process from cold boot? Effectively what BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? Which 2 are we looking at?
2| What ram kit are you working with at this moment of time?

Where are you located? What is your preferred site for purchase? Make and model of your case and cooler?

Currently using an AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D 4.2 GHz on an ASRock X670E PRO motherboard.

Not 100% happy with it - 1.) VERY long POST process on bootup (2 red LEDs light up for like 3 minutes, then it boots fine; tried various troubleshooting, didn't have any effect), and 2.) It doesn't support more than 128 GB RAM, which I'm constantly hitting due to working in 3D modeling and rendering.

What motherboard / CPU combo should I look for, in the $ 500-1000 price range, that will give me a LOT of memory support (256-1TB hopefully), without breaking the bank?

Ideally, a motherboard that can handle 2 or more linked GPUs, so I could buy 2/3/4 of them and pool their VRAM for rendering. (Taking the "several cheap 1-year-old cards" route rather than "1 super-expensive cutting-edge card which will be 1/2 the price in 2 months").

Any advice?
Consumer level motherboards will only offer a maximum of 256GB RAM. Do note that currently there aren't any 64GB UDIMMs available so 48GB DIMMs are the biggest you can get. If you want more RAM support than that you will need either a workstation or a server.