[SOLVED] Help me choose between 2 PSUs

jaxx80

Reputable
Aug 25, 2019
Hello
I need to change the power supply of my old PC. For it I will not need more than 450-500W, however I would like the new PSU to be powerful enough so I can use it also in the future when I do an upgrade.
I was going to buy Seasonic FOCUS Plus 750W Gold, however now I have an option to buy EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 80+ GOLD, 1000W Fully Modular for 15$ more.
I know that 1000W would be a total overkill, however as the difference in the price is small, I wonder - are there any drawbacks if I buy 1000W PSU, which will be usually loaded at 350-400W? Also, not considering the watt difference, are there some other advantages to buy the Seasonic model (reliability or other considerations)?

Thanks in advance

Solution
I cant see any point IMO.
Even if the G3 is good value.

I would personally choose a Seasonic Focus Plus over a G3 easily, and ultimately whilst there is no harm in getting an overpowered PSU, in modern day PSUs of both roughly the same efficiency, there is no upside either.

Most overpower their rigs, and in reality I've yet to see an actual rig that NEEDED more than 750W that didn't have multiple GPUs and multiple GPUs are effectively redundant now.

If one was significantly better efficiency than the other, then maybe it would be better, but not in this case. And comparable efficiency even then you're talking pennies saved really. Nothing significant, the boundaries between different efficiencies is marginal nowadays.

IMO get the...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
The problem is there is ZERO value in going for higher wattage if you're not using it. A 750W will satisfy most rigs of today. For example a good quality 650W can run an RTX 2080 Ti. Unless you're looking at running say, multiple GPUs (which in a home consumer rig for example is practically redundant now) then 750W would satisfy nearly all needs.

Additionally, from my perspective, the Seasonic FOCUS Plus is a better PSU.

I was going to buy Seasonic FOCUS Plus 750W Gold, however now I have an option to buy EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 80+ GOLD, 1000W Fully Modular for 15$ more.
I know that 1000W would be a total overkill, however as the difference in the price is small, I wonder - are there any drawbacks if I buy 1000W PSU, which will be usually loaded at 350-400W?

While I am in general agreement with PC Tailor, I am curious what the pricing looks like for both units, not just the difference. Also, are they both new?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I cant see any point IMO.
Even if the G3 is good value.

I would personally choose a Seasonic Focus Plus over a G3 easily, and ultimately whilst there is no harm in getting an overpowered PSU, in modern day PSUs of both roughly the same efficiency, there is no upside either.

Most overpower their rigs, and in reality I've yet to see an actual rig that NEEDED more than 750W that didn't have multiple GPUs and multiple GPUs are effectively redundant now.

If one was significantly better efficiency than the other, then maybe it would be better, but not in this case. And comparable efficiency even then you're talking pennies saved really. Nothing significant, the boundaries between different efficiencies is marginal nowadays.

IMO get the Seasonic, it's better quality, and even if the G3 is only £8 more, it's £8 that I seriously doubt you need to spend. It's £8 for nothing really.

Depending on current prices you can always consider a Corsair RMx for example.

Last edited:
Solution