Help me choose between these 3 mobos

b14desman

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Hi, I'm struggling with my choice of mobo for my new build system. I've whittled it down to 3 but I'm finding it difficult to differentiate. My system will be for home entertainment....no gaming and prob no overclocking. It will be based around the Intel E6300 CPU and one of the following mobo's..

MSI P965 Platinum, P965, Socket-775 Firewire,SATAII,ATX,GbLAN,DDR2,PCI-Ex16

Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, P965, Socket-775, ATX, SATAII, GbLAN, DDR2, 1xPCI-Ex16

Gigabyte GA-965P-S3, P965, Socket-775, ATX, SATAII, GbLAN, DDR2, 1xPCI-Ex16

I'm leaning toward the MSI mainly because of the review at Hardware Secrets. However I'd be interested in your thoughts on the quality of these makes, reliability and ease of use.
Thanks
Colin

jamse

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006
ive dealt with two of my friends msi boards and they burned out within a year. i set one friend up with an asus mobo m2n32-sli cause hes a gamer and amd fan, and i used the gigabyte ga-965g-ds3 for my other friend cause he just uses it for photoshop, watching movies, and interweb.

in the end i guess its a preference, and i havnt had first hand experience with msi, but i am content with what i have used (asus, abit, gigabyte)

xmojo

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
Hi, just curious as to why you've narrowed the choices down to these particular mobos. As far as features go, there are mobos from other manufacturers like Abit, Asus, etc that are similar, so what was your criteria? Brand name reputation, price, features....?

Anyway, the one feature the MSI board has over the 2 Gigabyte boards is that it has onboard Firewire, so that you can connect a digital camcorder to that board and transfer video to it. That alone makes the MSI board a bit more flexible as a home entertainment system.

I'd also consider these two other mobos:

Asustek P5B-E
Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6

Both are also based on the Intel 965P chipset; both have onboard Firewire and eSATA connections. eSATA means you can connect an external SATA hard drive for external backup/storage of your data at the fastest transfer rates (faster even then USB or Firewire transfer rates I believe).

b14desman

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Hi, I researched all Core 2 duo mobo's on here and other sites to narrow my choice. It boiled down to price, performance and comments from other posts on here and other forums.

I liked the review on Hardware Secrets that compared these 2 plus the ASUS P5B mobo. I couldn't really differentiate between the 3 mobos in this review other than to say the MSI used a newer Southbridge, which gave more features but the DS3 used better capacitors, therefore better quality/reliability in my book.

cheers
Colin

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, P965, Socket-775, ATX, SATAII, GbLAN, DDR2, 1xPCI-Ex16

Why? simple, best motherboard of what you have listed there.
Also, is not that MSI is a bad company, but the DS3 is better than that motherboard. It really gives a fight with other good motherboards.

Finally, most people bought it, as far as I have heard, good comments and reviews from it so GO FOR IT! :D