[SOLVED] Help me choose, please!

anceintsz

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
Hello. I am weighing options. I can either get a desktop or a laptop. I stay at different places a lot. Really thinking of getting a laptop. Yet a desktop can offer more at a lower price.

Budget: $700

EDIT: Currently looking at THIS ONE

If a laptop I am going for a big screen, a decent gpu/cpu that can handle games. Hopefully with a very crisp screen. Something like an MSI?

I don't know much about laptops, except really that I am more of a desktop guy. Yet I am going to be in a situation where I go spend nights over, then go back home. Doing that with a mid-sized desktop seems laughable!

Please TomsHardware! Help!

1. What is your budget? ($700)

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? (Big)

3. What screen resolution do you want? (1920x1080)

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? (Desktop Replacement)

5. How much battery life do you need? (I can keep it on charge)

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
(Medium/High)

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
(Watching YouTube benchmark videos)

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
(at least 256gb SSD)

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. (Amazon.com)

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
(3 Years)

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
(No)

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
(I have no idea)

13. What country do you live in?
(United States of America)

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

(I need a back-lit keyboard to see when gaming in the dark.)

Last edited:
Solution
4. a desktop replacement is not meant to be run from battery all the time. it is almost as powerful as a desktop but the price you pay is size/weight and low battery life.
a portable is a lower power processor meant to maximize battery life, battery life is the main design concern with a portable.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
4. a desktop replacement is not meant to be run from battery all the time. it is almost as powerful as a desktop but the price you pay is size/weight and low battery life.
a portable is a lower power processor meant to maximize battery life, battery life is the main design concern with a portable.

Reactions: anceintsz
Solution

anceintsz

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012

Thank you for clearing that up!

Hello. I am weighing options. I can either get a desktop or a laptop. I stay at different places a lot. Really thinking of getting a laptop. Yet a desktop can offer more at a lower price.

Budget: $700

EDIT: Currently looking at THIS ONE

If a laptop I am going for a big screen, a decent gpu/cpu that can handle games. Hopefully with a very crisp screen. Something like an MSI?

I don't know much about laptops, except really that I am more of a desktop guy. Yet I am going to be in a situation where I go spend nights over, then go back home. Doing that with a mid-sized desktop seems laughable!

Please TomsHardware! Help!

1. What is your budget? ($700)

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? (Big)

3. What screen resolution do you want? (1920x1080)

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? (Desktop Replacement)

5. How much battery life do you need? (I can keep it on charge)

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
(Medium/High)

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
(Watching YouTube benchmark videos)

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
(at least 256gb SSD)

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. (Amazon.com)

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
(3 Years)

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
(No)

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
(I have no idea)

13. What country do you live in?
(United States of America)

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

(I need a back-lit keyboard to see when gaming in the dark.)
You won’t get that for 700. Look at building an itx system that you can throw into a suitcase easily