Help Me Choose - Samsung S23A700D vs S23A950D vs S27A950D

soupyflow

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
I currently have a 27" Samsung P2770H that I purchased a little over a year ago, but I am looking to upgrade to a 120Hz screen. I DO NOT care about 3D, I am only going to be using this monitor for 120Hz 2D gaming.

I have read through countless reviews, threads etc talking about all of the 120Hz monitors out there, but being that Samsung's selection seems to have the best image quality and least amount of quality control issues, I have narrowed my selection down to the following three, which do you think I should get? I can afford any of them.

Samsung S23A700D

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824001537

or

Samsung S23A950D

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824001473

or

Samsung S27A950D

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824001472

I would love to stick with the 27" inch size like I have now, but I have heard issues with bad backlight bleed on the S27A950D.

Also I have noticed the S27A950D is only $50 dollars more than it's 23 inch counterpart the S23A950D, why is this? I would expect the 27 inch version would be at least $150 more.

In addition, besides stand looks, is there a difference between the S23A700D and the S23A950D?

Like I said, I DO NOT care about 3D gaming and I currently am running a GTX 680 4GB. I have also looked into the current ASUS VG278H, but I have heard the image quality is not as good as the Samsungs and they also have quality control issues.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Edit: I read your member config to see the gtx 680.

I'd still recommend you get the ASUS. The only issues I've read about them revolve around the 3D.

No matter how much you say that you are not interested in 3D, I have been there. I know that if you try it, you may actually love it. I'm sure you've seen 3D at the movies and perhaps in other forms, but until you've seen gaming in stereoscopic 3D, you have no idea what you are missing.

There isn't a good reason not to leave the option open to try 3D, even if you don't want it.

I was like you. I purchased a 120hz monitor for 120hz gaming. I decided to hook up the 3D to see what it was like and now I game in 3D more than 120hz.

soupyflow

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011

I saw you had the Acer 27inch 120Hz, how are you liking that? I read some reviews about it and people were saying something about the power button falling off and into the monitor casing. How is the picture, black levels, backlight bleed, input lag etc? Does it support 1080p 120Hz over DVI?

I know what you mean about the not thinking I was 3D and then I like it thing hehe

I like it a lot. 3D is awesome.

As far as the button goes, that is a faulty item that would result in a warranty claim. Clearly these aren't the norm, or they'd have to discontinue making them or lose a lot of money. From what I keep reading, all of the 3D monitors have occasional faults, but as long as you aren't one of the unlucky, you won't have to deal with it.

I find the picture quality to be great. I did have to tune it to get the color to my liking, but once fixed up, it looks a ton better than my previous 24" displays (LG and Samsung). I don't notice any backlight bleeding or input lag.

It does support 120hz on dual link-DVI, but not over HDMI. I noticed that Newegg has it listed as a 60hz monitor with 120hz (3D only), but that pertains only to HDMI. With DL-DVI, I play at 120hz.

Anyways, I am very happy with my monitor. The only issue I had was the 3D Vision 1 glasses hurt my nose a bit after a long session of gaming. I recently bought the 3D Vision 2 glasses (they are backwards compatible) and they are much more comfortable.

I decided to load up Skyrim to check for backlight bleeding, since the load screens are mostly pure black. I do notice what may be a touch of backlight bleeding around the top 1/4" and the left and right 1/4". I don't know if this is the game or actual bleeding, as it's so consistent around those 3 sides, rather than splotchy and I've never noticed it in another game.

Anyways, I thought you might want to know about the possible backlight bleeding I've seen, but if you were to buy a 3D monitor today, I'd go with the ASUS for the 3D Vision 2 compliance, not that this isn't a good monitor.