[SOLVED] Help me choose SFX power supply

baihaqi.m0

Reputable
Dec 20, 2017
Hi, I am planning to move my system to Silverstone SG13 from my Jonsbo V4, my current psu is cooler master 850v gold which I think won't fit in SG13 so I'm planning a to buy a new sfx psu. I have my eyes on Be Quiet SFX-L POWER 500W and Enermax Revolution SFX 550W, because only those 2 fit in my budget.

My Spec :
- CPU: I have 2 actually ryzen 5 3500 and 2400G, for now I will use 2400G because my GPU broke
-Mobo: gigabyte b450i aorus wifi
-GPU: nothing for now, but IF GPU price back to normal I'm planning to buy a 2070 super or something on that level
-Drive: 1x 512GB nvme ssd, 1x 2TB 3.5" HDD
-Memory: 2x8GB 3000Mhz team group stick, forgot the exact name

For my system and future (if ever) GPU upgrade which of the 2 psu is better? I also check using PSU calculator that my system with GPU is only under 400W load, so I think both will suffice, so maybe it come down which unit is better. Both come with 3 years warranty. Or if you have another cheaper or better recommendations? Modular is a must(semi modular is ok-ish I think), for efficiency rating I personally think bronze is enough but gold is nice, my budget is about I think roughly a bit under $100. Thanks in advance.

Hi, I am planning to move my system to Silverstone SG13 from my Jonsbo V4, my current psu is cooler master 850v gold which I think won't fit in SG13 so I'm planning a to buy a new sfx psu. I have my eyes on Be Quiet SFX-L POWER 500W and Enermax Revolution SFX 550W, because only those 2 fit in my budget.

My Spec :
- CPU: I have 2 actually ryzen 5 3500 and 2400G, for now I will use 2400G because my GPU broke
-Mobo: gigabyte b450i aorus wifi
-GPU: nothing for now, but IF GPU price back to normal I'm planning to buy a 2070 super or something on that level
-Drive: 1x 512GB nvme ssd, 1x 2TB 3.5" HDD
-Memory: 2x8GB 3000Mhz team group stick, forgot the exact name

For my system and future (if ever) GPU upgrade which of the 2 psu is better? I also check using PSU calculator that my system with GPU is only under 400W load, so I think both will suffice, so maybe it come down which unit is better. Both come with 3 years warranty. Or if you have another cheaper or better recommendations? Modular is a must(semi modular is ok-ish I think), for efficiency rating I personally think bronze is enough but gold is nice, my budget is about I think roughly a bit under $100. Thanks in advance.
The SG13 uses standard ATX PSU up to 150mm in depth, but they recommend 140mm to avoid cable connection issues. The manual says nothing about requiring SFX PSU. Your Cooler Master is 160mm depth and will not fit. The Seasonic Focus GX series are all 140mm depth and range from 550, 650, 750, 850 and 1000 watts. Take your pick.

ref. - https://www.silverstonetek.com/downloads/Manual/case/Multi-SG13-Manual.pdf

Last edited:

baihaqi.m0

Reputable
Dec 20, 2017
The SG13 uses standard ATX PSU up to 150mm in depth, but they recommend 140mm to avoid cable connection issues. The manual says nothing about requiring SFX PSU. Your Cooler Master is 160mm depth and will not fit. The Seasonic Focus GX series are all 140mm depth and range from 550, 650, 750, 850 and 1000 watts. Take your pick.

ref. - https://www.silverstonetek.com/downloads/Manual/case/Multi-SG13-Manual.pdf

Actually that model is a bit more expensive, even the 550w is something 15-20$ more than the be quiet SFX-L, I do find a used one bought in august 2020 for about $85 which is cheaper than both sfx I mentioned. It sure looks like have higher quality and much longer warranty though.
I am thinking sfx because I think it will have more space thus more airflow. Also if I for some reason want to go smaller then I don't have to buy new psu(a big if on this one)
I will consider the focus gx 550w as an option, but for sfx do you have any recommendations?

baihaqi.m0

Reputable
Dec 20, 2017
Is the Corsair SF600 an option to you? I have a SF600 Platinum (its also available in Gold), and its excellent. Solid reliable power, well made, etc. The only issue is even pre COVID this PSU is above the prices you have described.
Unfortunately it's not, not sure about msrp but it's $155-160 here so it's way above my budget.

For something like a 2070 super, you are going to want more than 500w ideally, which is an issue since SF PSUs in larger capacities are extremely expensive.

I would keep your Cooler Master for now since the case supports it. If cooling is an issue or you want to use a case in the future without ATX PSU support, I would upgrade then.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Unfortunately it's not, not sure about msrp but it's $155-160 here so it's way above my budget.

Thats around what it went for when I bought it last year (the Platinum). I'm running a 3700x and 2080Super on it. If you can find the budget, its bulletproof, but I can understand thats probably more than you want to spend. Its really my only personal experience in this PSU size.

baihaqi.m0

Reputable
Dec 20, 2017
For something like a 2070 super, you are going to want more than 500w ideally, which is an issue since SF PSUs in larger capacities are extremely expensive.

I would keep your Cooler Master for now since the case supports it. If cooling is an issue or you want to use a case in the future without ATX PSU support, I would upgrade then.
Wait it can fit? My cooler master is 170mm long, or do I measure it wrong.

baihaqi.m0

Reputable
Dec 20, 2017
Thats around what it went for when I bought it last year (the Platinum). I'm running a 3700x and 2080Super on it. If you can find the budget, its bulletproof, but I can understand thats probably more than you want to spend. Its really my only personal experience in this PSU size.
The price i mentioned before is for the gold actually, so I think it's a bit pricier here

Oh, I was looking at the wrong number for length. Yea, it is 170mm, so it supposedly won't fit.
However, looking at the case I don't see what would obstruct it from fitting, but I would still go by the manufacturers measurements.

Honestly, SFF/ITX is typically expensive. Unless you are willing to pay the extra cost of SFF PSUs, I would not get an SFF unit.

baihaqi.m0

Reputable
Dec 20, 2017
Oh, I was looking at the wrong number for length. Yea, it is 170mm, so it supposedly won't fit.
However, looking at the case I don't see what would obstruct it from fitting, but I would still go by the manufacturers measurements.

Honestly, SFF/ITX is typically expensive. Unless you are willing to pay the extra cost of SFF PSUs, I would not get an SFF unit.
After looking through other itx case, unless I spend good money I think SG13 is the smallest I could go. So probably I will go with focus gx archaic59 suggest. Any other recommendations for atx at this size?

logainofhades

Titan

baihaqi.m0

Reputable
Dec 20, 2017
Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (EA650G Pro) - PCPartPicker
This unit is a SeaSonic inside. Quite good, and cheaper than the Seasonic unit of which it is identical to right now.
It fit within my budget and looks like a good unit, but in the psucultist tier list it says pre 2018 unit has tripping problem, should I be worried for potentially get an old unit?

I also have a question that may or may not related to psu if I may, my gpus died the first one is a gtx1070 I immediately suspect the psu that caused it so I took it to cooler master (the rep), and they test them and found nothing wrong with the unit. Then I bring my gtx1070 to a repair shop, they said the mosfet is shorted and one other component is burned, they also said if the psu is good then probably the gpu is just the problem. Then I bought a used r9 280x and it also died the same way, I have yet to bring it to the repair shop nor check it myself but it died the same way my gtx1070 did, my pc suddenly turn off when I played a game, and refuse to turn on unless I remove the gpu. Do you think it's the PSU fault after all?

baihaqi.m0

Reputable
Dec 20, 2017
I use this SFX PSU, which is seasonic built.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Fractal Design Ion SFX-L 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($121.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $121.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-03-24 09:35 EDT-0400

Since it has been determined that you don't need an SFX though, to fit that case, that Antec Earthwatts Gold pro, that was recommended, would be a solid choice
Unfortunately I can't find that model here.

Currently I have 2 option between the two recommended model, I probably will decide it by tomorrow when my case arrived

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
It fit within my budget and looks like a good unit, but in the psucultist tier list it says pre 2018 unit has tripping problem, should I be worried for potentially get an old unit?

Considering how every even vaguely decent PSU was sold out at one point last year, and still now they are overpriced and out of stock often, the chance of getting an old one is near impossible.

baihaqi.m0

Reputable
Dec 20, 2017
Screenshot-20210324-210401-Tokopedia.jpg

Screenshot-20210324-210328-Tokopedia.jpg

Sorry a bit confused here, apparently there are 2 kind of earthwatt being sold here, the second picture matched the one from antec site, so it's the newer one right?

Looking at teardowns, the top one seems to be different on the inside. I see reviews of it from 2019, so I don't think its old.
My guess that is a variant for a different region of the world.

Pic-19-2-1920x1080.jpg

This is the one without black cables ^
antec_ea750g_pro_15.jpg

This is the model I am recommending with all black cables. ^

I don't know much about the top one in order to reccomend it.

baihaqi.m0

Reputable
Dec 20, 2017
Err a bit of bad news for me, the only antec that are in stock is earthwatts gold pro that are available are only 750w which is a bit more expensive than the focus gx, or edge 750w that have same price with sf600(weird seller still list it). I found Silverstone sx500 g with the same price with focus gx 550w and is sfx, I don't know if it's the same everywhere else but here it have 2 box one is dark blue with white bottom, the other one is black. What do you think? Seeing it's also on tier A

TRENDING THREADS