Question Help me choose SSDs

Feb 20, 2023
Help me choose some reliable SSDs, that are a good value.

I need one for Windows 10 / 11. 2 TB M.2 NVME on this one.
I need one for Linux. 1TB or 2TB Probably M.2 NVME for this one as well.
I need one for game / file storage. 4TB can be NVME or SATA just nothing super slow like an HDD.

This would be for an upcoming build, My MB would support PCIe Gen 3 and Gen 4, not sure how much difference it would make and if it would be worth it for a Gen 4 drive.

What would you recommend in those situations?
Thanks.

The large one...maybe Crucial MX500 2.5 inch SATA or an Intel 660p gen 3 or whatever has succeeded it. Neither of those are the fastest, but priced in the mid 200s somewhere at 4 TB capacity.

Windows boot drive....any of several WDs (570 gen 3; 770 gen 4; 850 gen 4; maybe Samsung 970 Plus gen 3; Crucial P5 or P5 Plus. Choice would depend on where you draw the line on cost and how swayed you might be by a benchmark. I might spring for gen 4 on the boot drive, probably not for anything else unless you have an unusual requirement.

Feb 20, 2023
The large one...maybe Crucial MX500 2.5 inch SATA or an Intel 660p gen 3 or whatever has succeeded it. Neither of those are the fastest, but priced in the mid 200s somewhere at 4 TB capacity.

Windows boot drive....any of several WDs (570 gen 3; 770 gen 4; 850 gen 4; maybe Samsung 970 Plus gen 3; Crucial P5 or P5 Plus. Choice would depend on where you draw the line on cost and how swayed you might be by a benchmark. I might spring for gen 4 on the boot drive, probably not for anything else unless you have an unusual requirement.

I actually purchased a Crucial MX500 back around Black Friday or so when they went on sale and got a bad one, and had to return it, I'm sure i was probably just unlucky but still it does make me unsure if i want to try it again, and makes me wonder if it would be reliable. i don't see a 4TB version of the Intel 660p . How about the WD Blue 3D NAND 4TB SATA SSD, that seems to be out of stock / on back order at most places at the moment?

Benchmarks for SSDs really don't mean much i don't think, it's reliability / durability and real world performance that matter most. I don't want to waste money either. I'll take a look at the other drives you mentioned.

I actually purchased a Crucial MX500 back around Black Friday or so when they went on sale and got a bad one, and had to return it, I'm sure i was probably just unlucky but still it does make me unsure if i want to try it again, and makes me wonder if it would be reliable. i don't see a 4TB version of the Intel 660p . How about the WD Blue 3D NAND 4TB SATA SSD, that seems to be out of stock / on back order at most places at the moment?

Benchmarks for SSDs really don't mean much i don't think, it's reliability / durability and real world performance that matter most. I don't want to waste money either. I'll take a look at the other drives you mentioned.

Yep, you are likely right about no Intel 660p 4 TB. I'm familiar with the 2 TB model.

Other 4 TB possible; Samsung 870 QVO; haven't checked price on it, but could be under 300 now.

There's likely nothing overtly wrong with any of the name brand mid level and above choices, but I don't know that you can do much about the reliability issue. I've not heard of any database of SSD reliability. All you get is someone's anecdote. You need a little luck. The MX500 has a good rep, but as you found out they all can fail and your number came up on the wheel of fortune and who could blame you for not wanting to buy another.

I just bought a WD SN770 for a boot drive and am anxious that my number might come up too.....even though it has excellent reviews.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2023
I noticed the SanDisk Ultra 3D SSD 4TB is on sale for $230 at Western Digital's website, but a couple things, Is that a good reliable drive and I've never ordered anything directly from Western Digital's website before, so i'm not so sure about that.

I noticed the SanDisk Ultra 3D SSD 4TB is on sale for $230 at Western Digital's website, but a couple things, Is that a good reliable drive and I've never ordered anything directly from Western Digital's website before, so i'm not so sure about that.

I can't say I've heard much about SanDisk drives. I think WD bought them several years ago. I think of SanDisk more for their USB flash drives.

I'd shy away from buying from WD direct as I'm not sure you would have a good experience if the drive had an immediate problem and you wanted to return it within the first 30 days....as compared with a seller like Amazon direct. That's just my offhand opinion as manufacturers seem to be more difficult to deal with than retailers. You could have a great experience of course.