[SOLVED] Help me choose the correct GPU

kalebwicks

Honorable
Aug 20, 2018
Hello,

My GTX 1070 is dying. I was going to wait until 3080 to upgrade but need to do it now. I have a I5 8600k, 16 gb ram, SSD's. I currently game on a 60hz 1440p monitor and planned on upgrading to 144hz G Sync 1440p monitor. I want to be able to max most games out.

My questions are as follows.

1) Is a 2070S enough to handle 144hz at 1440 with high settings are do I need to upgrade to a 2080S?

2) Once I know if I need the 2070S or 2080S how much of a difference would there be in performance between an EVGA Superclocked version versus a FTW3 Version? I have been an EVGA fan for awhile that is why I am looking at those models.

Thanks in advance for you help,

Kaleb

Solution
1)Depending on the games - because they are not made equal, the answer is yes and no.
The 2080 Super, doesn't offer that much more for the price - up to 10% more on average. Up to you if you think it'll be worth it.

2)A few percent, maybe? Ultimately depends on how much noise you're comfortable with.
The premium models have higher power limits, beefier coolers, and can be overclocked higher, but that also means they consume more power and will run hotter.
These gpus are temperature sensitive, so the cooler they run, the better.
So, if you're not running max, or high fan curves on these premium models, you won't be able to take advantage of the extra power headroom, and thus, they won't be any faster than a cheaper model.
Then again...

Flashgo1

Reputable
Mar 11, 2016
i know that a 2070S can run a 4k gaming monitors no issue. linustechtips or jaystwocents, both great youtube channels that have reviewed the 2070s and 2080s. jaystwocents might be the better for the actual review. there are many other channels that all so do great reviews.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Depending on the games - because they are not made equal, the answer is yes and no.
The 2080 Super, doesn't offer that much more for the price - up to 10% more on average. Up to you if you think it'll be worth it.

2)A few percent, maybe? Ultimately depends on how much noise you're comfortable with.
The premium models have higher power limits, beefier coolers, and can be overclocked higher, but that also means they consume more power and will run hotter.
These gpus are temperature sensitive, so the cooler they run, the better.
So, if you're not running max, or high fan curves on these premium models, you won't be able to take advantage of the extra power headroom, and thus, they won't be any faster than a cheaper model.
Then again, the same would apply to the cheaper models too, ~so... they kinda run in parallel.

TLDR: A few percent, maybe.

Solution

Flashgo1

Reputable
Mar 11, 2016
most of the reviews that i watch said the price difference for that percentage is not worth it between the 2070s and the 2080s. if you want balls to the walls and the price is not an issue, its your choice.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
most of the reviews that i watch said the price difference for that percentage is not worth it between the 2070s and the 2080s. if you want balls to the walls and the price is not an issue, its your choice.
I know, but everyone's perspective perception of 'worth' varies.

2080 Super's value isn't great, but it's not as ridiculous as the 2080Ti is.
Before you bring up the argument of 'it's the flagship', remember the 1080-1080Ti.