Question Help me choose the right PSU for my system

Nov 10, 2019
Hello,

So few days earlier I have decided to change my PSU since system was crashing on high loads. My old PSU is EPS ENERGON Gaming power supply 650W semi-modular, and as I looked it up on google people were saying that its a junk psu ( correct me if I am wrong.) So I decided to go with CORSAIR CX 650W semi-modular also, but with that one my system refused to boot longer than 1 second, so I switched it back to my old psu again and it booted properly but crashed again on high loads. I managed to refund the corsair psu and now I am in search of PSU that will work on my specs and not sbut down my system immediately.

My sytem is 3 years old and after 2 and half years of use shutdowns and restarts began on high loads, its not the temperature, as I checked the temps and changed termal pastes on cpu and gpu, so I suspect its the PSU.

Cpu at idle : 25C
Cpu at load: 48C

Gpu at idle: 50C ( fans only spin at 60C)
Gpu at load: 69C

Pc is clean and cables are all checked.
Power outlets are fine.

Ram is reseated and Cmos battery is changed.

Here are the specs:

motherboard: Gigabyte ultra durable h110m
cpu: Intel i5 6500 3.2ghz 3.2ghz 4 cores
gpu: XFX AMD RX 480 8gb vram
ram: 2x 8gb Hyper x
hard drive: 1x Toshiba 1tb drive

Coolers: cpu stock cooler, 1 front panel intake cooler and double stock gpu coolers

1x 60hz acer monitor
1x keyboard
1x mouse
1x Headset

No speakers

Since Corsair cx650W didnt worked on my machine, I dont know which one to buy for my system and I need help to solve this annoying issue

Mybe its just a faulty one out of the box, But I dont think so it gave the power to the mother board, when I pressed the power button everything lighten up and spinned for a second and then shutdown

The old psu crashes only on high loads.

Thanks for future advices, I appreciate everyones advice :) Help!

Any decent 550w PSU will do nicely for your system.

A Seasonic Focus Plus Gold, EVGA G3, Corsair TXM/RMX/RMi would all be suitable.

Having a 650w is not needed, but if it makes you feel better by having a little more headroom, then go for it. A 650w PSU of the brands mentioned will allow you to transfer to a more powerful system down the line.

The Corsair CX line, although not the worst, are not the best either. Any PSU from any manufacturer can have failures out of the box. That's not unusual. But certain brands and quality of PSU will reduce the chances of that.

Nov 10, 2019
Any decent 550w PSU will do nicely for your system.

A Seasonic Focus Plus Gold, EVGA G3, Corsair TXM/RMX/RMi would all be suitable.

Having a 650w is not needed, but if it makes you feel better by having a little more headroom, then go for it. A 650w PSU of the brands mentioned will allow you to transfer to a more powerful system down the line.

The Corsair CX line, although not the worst, are not the best either. Any PSU from any manufacturer can have failures out of the box. That's not unusual. But certain brands and quality of PSU will reduce the chances of that.
https://www.instar-informatika.hr/napajanje-seasonic-focus-plus-550-gold-550w/0151454/product/

Is this the one? Is it good enough?

Nov 10, 2019
I would suspect you did not connect the corsair up properly. It should have powered your system.
I Checked everything multiple times, my cpu power has only 4 pin so I splited 8 pin and put only 4. Sata cables went to my hard drive and cd rom. Molex cables power my front cooler and case buttons. 24 pin obviously went to the motherboard and finally i connected the 6pin power cable PCie for my gpu.

Nov 10, 2019
i'm just going to be rude again and ask... you know these two (at least for focus FX, the new GX/PX/GM/SGX units "should" be be fine as they did hardware modifications) are problematic?
I just need a good enough budget friendly psu that wont shut fown my system on start nor on load. Nothing less nothing more.

LukeSavenije

Prominent
Apr 4, 2019
I just need a good enough budget friendly psu that wont shut fown my system on start nor on load. Nothing less nothing more.
i mean... current g3 only killed itself once in testing here at aris, and on another melted the housing of a capacitor while testing over temperature protection. the Focus FX starts to ripple heavily on overload. that's why i don't feel comfortable recommending to buy either now. if you had one of them already, my opinion could change, but I'm here now to choose other options

This is the problem, budget and PSU shouldn't really go together. Yes, you can get a budget PSU, that will just about do the job. Then you will have the same problem again in 6 months. A good PSU will last you 10 years! For the extra money now, it's better to have quality.

LukeSavenije

Prominent
Apr 4, 2019
Your personal idiosyncrasies are of no concern to me. The G3 and the Focus remain great PSU's regardless of what you think of them.
i'm just surprised people can't read sometimes

and forget that i literally have a focus myself... no problems, directly from seasonic themselves, but i chose the new version to try out. i don't give comments about it until i've seen it well tested, and i know it will.

it's your personal bias standing in the way here

Nov 10, 2019
This is the problem, budget and PSU shouldn't really go together. Yes, you can get a budget PSU, that will just about do the job. Then you will have the same problem again in 6 months. A good PSU will last you 10 years! For the extra money now, it's better to have quality.
But I actually went for a more expensive one Corsair cx650w m but I am dissapointed now, if that one didnt work I am really lost.

LukeSavenije

Prominent
Apr 4, 2019
? I am from Croatia, but that doesnt matter, I need a recommandation which one to actually buy.
oh i see... i don't think I'm allowed to link other forums here, am i? I'll list a couple common options, but feel free to ask about anything you find

bitfenix whisper, formula gold
corsair cx, txm, rm, rmx
enermax revolution df/xt ii
cooler master v-series
deepcool dq-m/dq-st
cougar gxf/gxs
fsp hydro g/x
sama armor
super flower leadex i/ii/iii
be quiet pure power 11/straight power 11
xilence performance x

and i can go on, but this is getting a bit long

Nov 10, 2019
oh i see... i don't think I'm allowed to link other forums here, am i? I'll list a couple common options, but feel free to ask about anything you find

bitfenix whisper, formula gold
corsair cx, txm, rm, rmx
enermax revolution df/xt ii
cooler master v-series
deepcool dq-m/dq-st
cougar gxf/gxs
fsp hydro g/x
sama armor
super flower leadex i/ii/iii
be quiet pure power 11/straight power 11
xilence performance x

and i can go on, but this is getting a bit long
I am afraid to buy another corsair cx since this brand new one refused to boot my pc for more than 1 second and rarely 30 seconds.

So I need as much help as possible rhis problem annoys me for more than a year now.

oh, look who's here as well

i don't think i'll have to explain to you what i think about focus and g3 by now

TBH, I don't think any of us care what you think of those PSU's. You seem to have an abrasive attitude, and are more happy being negative than actually providing a solution.

Anyway, I digress. The OP has a number of options to choose from. Good luck to the OP with their choice, and to you with your negative approach.

Also, please stop with your passive aggressive tone. It's not welcome even for a moment.

TRENDING THREADS