Help me choose

Gal Aizic

Reputable
May 29, 2014
Hello,
i'm just about to change my CPU and therefor my Motherboard.
I'm looking for a good gaming motherboard and don't ask me why but I want a gigabyte one.
i thought about the Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z97 or the Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3.

(future to be) pc specs:
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX760 4gb
RAM: 4X4gb G.Skill Sniper
PS: Cooler Master GXII 650W
CASE: Cooler Master HAF 912 Advanced
CPU: intel Core i7-4770k

Solution
I like the Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z97 more. Even though it has 2 less SATA ports, VRM heatsinks look much more efficient in comparison to the other board.

I suggest getting a GTX 770 rather than the 4GB model of the 760 unless you have a higher resolution screen than 1200p.
The extra VRAM does not constitute the cost vs performance gained from the step up to a GTX 770.

You can cut costs on a gaming rig by sticking with an i5-4670K CPU. It will not limit you when gaming and has little to no difference in comparison with the i7-4770K. Consider maybe using this extra savings towards the GPU.

A lot of us would also recommend getting a better quality power supply. Not to say that the CM one you choose is bad, but a high end PSU will ensure...

Illumynization

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
I like the Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z97 more. Even though it has 2 less SATA ports, VRM heatsinks look much more efficient in comparison to the other board.

I suggest getting a GTX 770 rather than the 4GB model of the 760 unless you have a higher resolution screen than 1200p.
The extra VRAM does not constitute the cost vs performance gained from the step up to a GTX 770.

You can cut costs on a gaming rig by sticking with an i5-4670K CPU. It will not limit you when gaming and has little to no difference in comparison with the i7-4770K. Consider maybe using this extra savings towards the GPU.

A lot of us would also recommend getting a better quality power supply. Not to say that the CM one you choose is bad, but a high end PSU will ensure the longevity of all the components.

16GB of RAM is fine if you can afford it, currently 8GB - 12GB is optimal for gaming.

Solution

Gal Aizic

Reputable
May 29, 2014
Thank you both for the replay, i already own the GTX760 (due to a major price diffarence between it and the 770), and the ram (due to a 20$ diffarence between it and 8 gb. even i don't understand my country sometimes), and the PSU. I'll listen to you and buy the sniper :)