https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236465&ignorebbr=1

The second monitor is on sale at the moment, so the price is comparable

My current build is as follows:
CPU: R7 1700x
MOBO: ASUS strix x370
GPU: some 1080, haven't picked yet
RAM: 2x8gb Gskill 3200 RGB

So, basically i can't decide whether i want to push the higher frames on 1080p or not. I'm well aware that r7 can't always push over that juicy 144fps mark, but still nicely over 100 most of the time. But then I look at that deal on the 1440p monitor, and i remember hearing that resolution is more GPU bound than actual framerate. So what should i do here? The price difference here (being around $60) is no object, as both are within my price range and the asking price of the 144hz version seems reasonable with all of its review backing.

So, with my build, 144hz or 2k res, neither with G-sync? (I play a lot of FPS games, but i like my open world/RPGs here and there)

Solution

For FPS gaming you gotta get higher Hz. It is night and day. 60fps is great for wlow games like Witcher3 but if you need fast action...must be high Hz. You know when you see it. I choose the Dell cuz price is great and looks awesome.
You gotta get the higher Hz monitor. It helps tremendously in gaming like BF1. And it will still look good enough for movies/tv shows. G-sync too is worlds better than V-sync. It makes V-sync look like crap. For your needs, the 1080p 144Hz is the best option of the two choices.

But, how about the Dell S2716DG? It offers the fast fps at a decent price.

Mankasiker

Commendable
Oct 22, 2016

Any particular reason for this choice? I'm going for the best experience

For FPS gaming you gotta get higher Hz. It is night and day. 60fps is great for wlow games like Witcher3 but if you need fast action...must be high Hz. You know when you see it. I choose the Dell cuz price is great and looks awesome.

Solution