HELP ME! chose car speakers!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kraizyswan

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
Hello, I am replacing the interior speakers in my car, and I went to Best Buy to test some out, and I was looking to purchase Alpines (Model: SPE-6000) or Kickers (Model: 40CS65) or possibly something else you may suggest. They need to be 6 and 1/2" though.

Basically what I'm looking for is good quality speakers that *almost* sound like I have a system bumpin'...

I am also looking for information on how to determine what exactly I should be looking for. Do I look at the RMS wattage? or the Frequency? or what?

PLEASE HELP! -- THANKS :)

karrbass4life

Honorable
Jul 13, 2013
Well honestly if you still have the factory headunit (CD player) you really wont notice anything. I had $250 Infinity Kappa's in my doors with the stock cd player and i barely noticed any change in the sound. Once i added a Pioneer headunit it woke up my audio system.

If you don't have an aftermarket headunit i suggest you start there.

If you do have an aftermarket headunit then i suggest speakers. I tend to prefer Pioneer and Infinity for my speakers. Nothing is wrong with Alpine or Kicker either. I'd look for a 2 or 4 ohm speaker with a sensitivity level above 90dB.

Frequency is the range that the speaker will cover, but note that the low end stuff is typically only available from a subwoofer which would give you that "bumpin" system.

RMS is what i'd look at IF you have an aftermarket headunit and you plan on adding an amplifier to the speakers. Most aftermarket headunits are 25wx4 MAX and 12-17wx4 RMS. So to get near those RMS figures, and get the full potential of your speakers you'd need to install an amplifier. Never go by the MAX/Peak power wattage of ANY product. Rarely will your speakers, headunit, etc. ever see the MAX wattage. MAX wattage is used by most companies to sell products.

If you have any other questions i'll do my best to answer them here.

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
I've never been a fan of kicker speakers, they're amps and subwoofers can be good. Alpine has also gone downhill in the past few years too. What's your total budget? karrbass is correct on how a new head unit will be a bigger upgrade to the sound quality over speakers. Also remember that when you start to look in to higher end speakers a stock head unit might not bring enough wattage to power them. Under powering speakers can damage them over time too. I actually used 6 1/2 kappa components in my jeep as well which you can find online for $200 a set. Those speakers work best running off an amp. Mine are running 60 watts rms. If you have a budget for your stereo post that and the type of vehicle and we can help you out with it.

wss_003

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
JL audio is what i sell the most and use personally in all my vehicles I have seen amazing gains in sound from all levels of jl but to get the best of both worlds bump and clarity you should invest in a pro install and get some component speakers which separate the tweeter (which plays the highs) from the mid base driver which is where your going to get the bump. also if you have the room get 6x9s for the rear and you will be amazed. I have built and installed 100s of stereos and currently have jl c2 in all 4 corners on my bronco and mustang with 2 8in w3 in a ported box all being ran off of a 900hd amp which is very compact and a class d so its super efficient

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
I love my JL subs but find the mid range components are over priced for what you get. I got my kappa components for under $200 CDN a set and the C2s were $340. If I could have gotten them for the same price I'd probably have taken the C2s but there was no way they were worth that premium.

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
I try to buy from local stores. One place had the Kappas on sale for $200 a pair while the best price for the C2s were $340 that I could get. I'm sure I could have found better prices online but like I said I like to support local companies. I do use an XD400/4 to power the components and a JX1000/1 to run my W6. I loxe the XD and the W6 while the JX is just ok. Of course I paid $350 for it so price/performance is pretty great and it is overkill for 1 W6 sub.

politejohn

Reputable
Jun 20, 2015
There are obviously different brands of speakers to opt! The important to ask is what are you after? heart rumbling bass? loud sound? or crisp and clear sound? And while searching, pay more attention to the RMS power rating than on the Peak. according to http://www.autostereoplace.com/ you Bose, infinity and JL are some of the brands you should lookout for.

Just my 2 cent!

Electricwhizkid

Reputable
Sep 7, 2014
I put some 6" DIVINCI speakers their 60 watt speakers in my 1994 Ford F-350 and I left the stock radio in and it's louder than it was. I was gonna put a touchscreen radio in but I can't use a 2 din because the stock radio is only 1 din. But any way I would probably use at least 45watt speakers 3 way would be better it has a woofer, midrange,and tweeter all in one speaker. Maybe try audiobohn or kenwood speakers

steve1985

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015
bose infinity polk audison, herts jbl focal. but those last 4 are pricey but VERY worth it.

jl is good but you can find equal performance from other companies for a cheaper price. they sell their name. pioneer is good for mid grade selections. dont buy kicker. they are junk. kicker is the audio company that founded car audio pretty much, since then there has been many companies that have surpassed them, specially since they moved overseas now. if you have a stock head unit. just adding speakers wont make much of a difference. if your into sound quality get a 80 prs from pioneer. very confusing to get into the way it works and tweak your sound but if you master it probably one of the best head units youll ever buy. other than that id stick to pioneer or kenwood for headunits. if your looking to amp them. ppi makes great 4 channel amps do some research before you buy there are different types of cones used for speakers. each give a different kind of sound. car audio is you get what you pay for you skim out and youll be worth you spent the money in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.