Question Help me Complete a Build - Intel i7 + Nvidia 3070

Jun 18, 2022
I'm building a PC for a garage golf simulator (mainly to run FSX and GSPro software) and would love some help completing the puzzle on a few things. I have a Inten i7 CPU and Nvidia 3070 GPU on the way, but need to land everything else. Should I get an AIO for this build? Should I go DDR4 or DDR5 for Ram? Thoughts on other components? Thank you for your help!

D

Deleted member 362816

What is your budget after what you have spent? If you can afford it there is no reason to not go the DDR5 route. As for a AIO if you can fit a large cooler like a d15 or a dark rock pro 4 I would stick with air cooling.

12700 or 12700K will require a lga1700 motherboard.
You will want a B660 or Z690 based motherboard.
If budget is an issue, B660 will be good.
The MATX boards are quite reasonable
Unless there is a big price difference, Z690 would be my choice.

They come in DDR4 and DDR5 variants.
Performance with DDR4 or DDR4 ram is comparable.
You can pick either.
I have no particular preference on brands.

DDR4 motherboards and ram are cheaper today.
A 2 x 8gb ram kit should be plenty, but many are going to 32gb since ram is not that expensive.

You have picked the two most important components, I think, well.

Look for a case to hold your parts. Pick one with looks you love.
It should have adequate front air intake capability to cool your parts.
I see no need for liquid cooling. A good twin tower air cooler will do the job equally well, be more reliable,quiet, and easier to install.

Last edited:

KyaraM

Admirable
If you want a z690 board for your 12700k on a budget, I use that CPU on a MSI Pro Z690-A. There are four variants of the board, DDR4, DDR5, each with or without WiFi. They should all sit around the $200 mark. The one I have, for example, the DDR4 version without WiFi, only cost me 190€ and performs really well so far. Here is a VRM review of the board, it can essentially run any CPU without issues

And a general review of the board:

Jun 18, 2022
12700 or 12700K will require a lga1700 motherboard.
You will want a B660 or Z690 based motherboard.
If budget is an issue, B660 will be good.
The MATX boards are quite reasonable
Unless there is a big price difference, Z690 would be my choice.

They come in DDR4 and DDR5 variants.
Performance with DDR4 or DDR4 ram is comparable.
You can pick either.
I have no particular preference on brands.

DDR4 motherboards and ram are cheaper today.
A 2 x 8gb ram kit should be plenty, but many are going to 32gb since ram is not that expensive.

You have picked the two most important components, I think, well.

Look for a case to hold your parts. Pick one with looks you love.
It should have adequate front air intake capability to cool your parts.
I see no need for liquid cooling. A good twin tower air cooler will do the job equally well, be more reliable,quiet, and easier to install.
Awesome thank you. How do you feel about this motherboard?

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E168131...&ranSiteID=8BacdVP0GFs-DIrMP5UyPOTQFtsAaD9R9w

Any specific cooling block you would recommend?

Jun 18, 2022
If you want a z690 board for your 12700k on a budget, I use that CPU on a MSI Pro Z690-A. There are four variants of the board, DDR4, DDR5, each with or without WiFi. They should all sit around the $200 mark. The one I have, for example, the DDR4 version without WiFi, only cost me 190€ and performs really well so far. Here is a VRM review of the board, it can essentially run any CPU without issues

Thank you! Super helpful. What do you think of this board? https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E168131...&ranSiteID=8BacdVP0GFs-DIrMP5UyPOTQFtsAaD9R9w

Jun 18, 2022

or this one? https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E168131...re=z690-_-13-144-512-_-Product&quicklink=true

I like it.
Good vrm heatainks, two 8 pin eps connectors so power should never be an issue.
Looks like no RGB "bling" which is a plus for me.

As to coolers, that will depend some on the case and how high a air cooler it can support.
I would try to get a case with at least two front 140mm intakes or better.
It should have 160mm available for a good twin tower cooler.
I like the quality of the noctua coolers, but be quiet-DRP4, thermalright macho,
scythe fuma, Phanteks TC14 and others would do very well also.

Jun 18, 2022
I like it.
Good vrm heatainks, two 8 pin eps connectors so power should never be an issue.
Looks like no RGB "bling" which is a plus for me.

As to coolers, that will depend some on the case and how high a air cooler it can support.
I would try to get a case with at least two front 140mm intakes or better.
It should have 160mm available for a good twin tower cooler.
I like the quality of the noctua coolers, but be quiet-DRP4, thermalright macho,
scythe fuma, Phanteks TC14 and others would do very well also.
Appreciate you. Super helpful. You think either DDR4 or DDR5 route is neglible performance difference at this point?