Help me connect wired to internet

perplexityx

Honorable
May 6, 2012
Alright. Just got a Used computer from a friend who reformatted it to brand new settings and I am trying to connect it to my Modem/router wired to the ethernet cable.

It isnt recognizing anything and it has something to do with the settings on the computer and the IP address on the computer and the router maybe. If someone can give me a step by step on how to get my newly formatted computer to even start recognizing my wired connection that would be great. It seems to be an on board ethernet hookup. Does this even work? or do I need a network adapter card for the computer. Basically my question is. How do I get a newly formatted computer to become internet ready on a completely different modem router setup

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Hi perplexityx.....a perplexing puzzle for us :)

Just a quick answer down 1 line only....... the set-up should be automatic under windows (7 ?), so I'm wondering if your router is separate from the modem. If yes then disconnect and bypass the router and see if this helps - if you need a password, windows should prompt you for one. Your friend had no probs with internet? you are plugging ethernet into ' active' port at back of computer - if >1 port try others - could be as simple as that.

perplexityx

Honorable
May 6, 2012

Alright I tried bypassing the router and it still didnt help. there is only 1 plug in the back for the ethernet cord. It doesnt even seem to be trying to pick up the signal. I looked on my old computer and it says there is a network adapter and on the new one I am not seeing any of that. unless im looking into something not even messing up the problem

perplexityx

Honorable
May 6, 2012

I dont see one listed. im assuming one wouldnt be listed if its not installed. is that normal?

the Mobo is a Gigabyte z68x -UD3-83 and yes its windows 7

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
many newer mboards have the nic built in, in which case, a simple download of the drivers might be all that's needed (though if that was the case you may see an issue/culprit flagged in device manager)