Help me decide a good future new pc build.

IamMike

Honorable
Oct 11, 2014
Hey,
Since i could not decide wich gpu i would buy, i decided to keep saving for a complete system.

I'd like opinions for both team red & blue, for mainly fast developing of large 3D Games (fast 3D apps/simulating/baking/compiling/...Huge 3D scenes)
and second also good at gaming but less important then a good performance for developing.

I should have a 3-4k budget by then, maybe less maybe more idk, just lets hear some crazy efficient builds. Just to be clear, i don't think multiple GPUs are an option.

List of what i want at least :

- The best/efficient Intel or AMD CPU For fast calculations of complex scenes.
(a list of both brands would be nice to compare bucks you can save)
- a high overclocking capable mobo.
- min 32Gb of RAM or more if not to expansive.
- at least a 8 GB VRAM GPU or 12GB or more if possible or maybe a Quadro xxx if not to expansive.
- at least 1 large HDD (min 10 TB) with fast readings speeds (by pref. western dig.)
- a 1 or 2 TB SSD for the OS & other stuff.

The reason i ask it here is because a lot of ppl will debate some parts are better then others
and once i bought it, it's to late.
So i will ask it here now and again some time later to compare if there are better things out already by then.

What i currently have is :

CASE : Zalman Z9 Neo Black
MB : ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
PSU : COBRA 850 Watt
CPU : AMD CPU FX-8350 4.0Ghz up to 5.3Ghz
CPU Cooler : Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO &
CPU Custom Liquid Loop.
GPU : Asus Strix GTX 970 OC 4GB
RAM : 4x Corsair Vengeance LP 8 GB DDR3 = 32 GB RAM
(1600 Mhz)
SSD : SSD SAMSUNG EVO 850 250 GB
SSD : Crucial 1 TB
HDD 1 : Western Digital RED NAS 8 TB
HDD 2 : Western Digital RED NAS 8 TB
ExtHDD 1 : MyBook 8TB
ExtHDD 2 : Western Digital GREEN 3 TB
ExtHDD 3 : Western Digital GREEN 3 TB
DVD

I will not get rid of that build as i will still use it for 2nd pc to do developing with.

Thx for the time.

Lutfij

Titan
Where are you located and do you have a preferred site for purchase? I would suggest having two drives in mirror/RAID1 to hold all your content/worklogs. Having one large drive isn't bad but if you loose out on your large platter drive, you loose everything thus why I suggest you have that split into two drives but a mirror of the other. That is, 2x 4TB/6TB drives.

Please include the name of the apps, you're going to the tax the system with.

IamMike

Honorable
Oct 11, 2014
Hi,

i'm located in Belgium but i'm willing to make a long trip to Germany to buy my parts there because they are a lot cheaper.
I do have a pref site but like i sayd, it should be the cheepest one but still to taxed.

www.alternate.be

What programs i use?
Here's a list:

Maya 2017
3ds Max 2017-2019
Mudbox 2017
ZBrush
Photoshop
Gimp
Substance Designer
Substance Painter
DAZ Studio
Houdini
Unreal

IamMike

Honorable
Oct 11, 2014
For the CPU i realy don't know what would be best ...
i'm considering the 2nd gen of threadrippers (the most expansive ones)
or maybe the best Intel ones... idk , "define good" for the work i do ...

At that point i'm not realy sure more cores are better or not.

For the CPU, you would really want to make sure that the things you regularly do in that software can benefit from having access to lots of cores before considering something like a Threadripper. With more lightly to moderately-threaded tasks, the highest core-count CPUs on HEDT systems tend to not be quite as fast as some of the processors on consumer-oriented platforms. And the vast majority of software tends to only make use of a handful of threads. Some CPU-based rendering and encoding tasks, for example, can utilize 32 or more threads to make proper use of something like a Threadripper, but most software can't.

Depending on your needs, it might be worth considering something like the recently released i9-9900K, available for the somewhat more consumer-oriented X390 motherboards, which has 8-cores/16-threads, but it currently offers the highest per-core performance. That might provide a decent mix of fast performance at common moderately-threaded tasks, as well as reasonable performance at heavily-threaded tasks, while costing significantly less than those HEDT processors.

And for a graphics card, Nvidia's RTX 2080 Ti might be worth considering for a system in that price range, particularly if you want to experiment with hardware raytracing support and DLSS in the games you are developing.

AMD is supposed to be coming out with 7nm CPUs and graphics cards next year that might more directly compete with these, but there still isn't any timeline for when those will be available.

ohenryy

Honorable
PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wpFmBb
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wpFmBb/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Threadripper 1950X 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor ($649.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i v2 70.69 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - X399 Taichi ATX TR4 Motherboard ($399.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($716.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($227.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - Enterprise Capacity 10 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($299.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB GAMING AMP Video Card ($1304.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($188.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($105.82 @ Monoprice)
Optical Drive: Asus - DRW-24B3ST/BLK/G/AS DVD/CD Writer ($21.49 @ OutletPC)
Total: $4011.11
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-09 02:54 EST-0500

IamMike

Honorable
Oct 11, 2014
Last 2 pcs i built was AMD,
i'm not so familiar with the new intel stuff since the last p4 i used back then,
but if i wait till 2019 there should be even better ones then the i9-9900k ?
And idk about the compatibility with the mobos to only upgrade the cpu later on ...
For example if i buy a i9-9900k, should i be able to upgrade the cpu a few years later with newer ones or not?
So i don't have to buy everything again except the cpu and maybe an other gpu every idk 3 years maybe.

What i also whant to know is:
are the new cpus both intel and amd fixed already for the vulnerabilitys of meltdown and the other ones?
Or do they just continue and don't care about it?

Thx.

IamMike

Honorable
Oct 11, 2014

That seems like a nice build, not so sure about the seagate harddrive tough,
had a few bad experiences with seagate in the past, for the cpu,
it seems nice to have a double cpu but like i sayd before i'm not sure more cores
will do better performance in 3D softwares & game engines, i think i need fast single core performance.

i can say i can't complain with my FX 8350, it can do heavy multitasking for sure without sweating, but it laks a bit of single core performance in some programs and for simulating stuff/rendering.
Other then that i can open quite a lot of stuff on my actual desktop, like for example 3 browsers with hundreds of tabs open on each of them, while doing rendering, audio editing, running multiple instances of the engines i use and multiple 3d softwares working all together.
So in that case i surely do need a few SSDs , with a lot of RAM and a cpu that can do the multitasking, but i think a 8 core should be more then enough idk.
Just wanna pick the right one for the job & with preference a notable huge difference with the one i got now.
In other terms, i won't buy a whole new system if i only got 10%~30% more speed, i want it to be much more then that.

Thx for the build config.

IamMike

Honorable
Oct 11, 2014

Nice setup.
Question, is there a difference between the M2 SSD & normal SSD?

IamMike

Honorable
Oct 11, 2014

7 times faster ... nice!
I didn't knew that.
Thx for sharing. ;)

Unfortunately, Intel tends to require new motherboards every couple generations or so. They required new motherboards for their 8000-series processors when they released them a year ago, and while the 9000-series supports those motherboards with a BIOS update, that's probably not going to be the case for their next generation of 10nm CPUs, which will likely be launched about a year from now. So, chances are that there will likely be zero room to upgrade from an i9-9900K on existing motherboards, though it is currently the fastest processor for consumer-socket boards, so it will probably offer good performance for a number of years to come. Just keep in mind that you would likely need a new motherboard if you wanted to upgrade from that processor at some point in the future, so don't expect to be able to reuse a high-end board with new CPUs.

In addition to new processors requiring new motherboards, DDR5 RAM is also on the horizon, and it's possible that new CPUs will also require that within the next couple years. Last I heard, DDR5 will supposedly be available for computers in 2020, though it's not yet really known exactly which processor generations that would be needed for. It might be for Intel's next generation of CPUs, which may be released around the end of next year, or perhaps the generation after that, which might not be released until late 2020. So, if you don't think you'll need 64GB of RAM for the software you use in the near future, you might not want to get much more than is required for the time being, as you may need to replace it later. Any unused RAM will just be sitting there not doing anything, so much like considering lots of processor cores, I would make sure that the software you work with can utilize that much. The price of RAM is coming back down following a shortage over the last couple years, but it is still quite a bit higher than it was prior to 2017. 32GB might be a reasonable high-end option, and a 2x16GB dual-channel kit would still leave two slots available in a typical four-slot motherboard for a potential future RAM upgrade, if needed. Currently, 16GB is still plenty for most people, and most games can still get along fine on 8GB if multitasking is kept to a minimum, though I'm not sure how much your exact usage scenario could benefit from having more. Perhaps monitor RAM usage on your current system while heavily multitasking between the software you use to see how much is actually getting utilized.

Another option that could potentially be worth considering would be AMD's Ryzen 2700X, which just like the i9-9900K features 8 cores with 16 threads. AMD's current processors offer similar instructions-per-clock to Intel's offerings, but they are not able to clock as high at the high-end, so performance tends to be a bit lower for a given number of cores and threads. They do cost quite a bit less though, with the 2700X currently priced over a couple hundred dollars less than an i9-9900K, while generally being only around 15% slower, with even less of a difference in games, where performance will usually be limited more by graphics hardware. If you intend to build the system with a high budget though, the price difference for a 9900K might not be that significant though.

AMD also announced when they launched the first-generation Ryzen CPUs last year that their AM4 socket motherboards should be supported through 2020, so their next generation of 7nm CPUs coming next year will likely work with the current motherboards after a BIOS update, and possibly even a generation after that. Their 7nm CPUs will supposedly offer per-core performance that is comparable to (or perhaps slightly better than) Intel's current high-end chips, with lower power draw, so there might be some decent upgrades available down the line. I don't believe you specified around when you intend to build the system, though I suspect AMD's next generation of 7nm processors might be coming out sometime around spring. Of course, it could be argued that Intel's 9900K might potentially offer a comparable level of performance already.

Since processors need to have their designs finalized many months in advance, in-silicon fixes can potentially take a year or more from when the company finds out about a vulnerability. Plus, additional variants of the vulnerabilities have been discovered since then. So, the Ryzen 2000 and Intel 8000 processors don't contain hardware fixes, but Intel's just-released 9000-series does apparently have at least Meltdown fixed (the one that didn't affect AMD to begin with). These processors all still rely on OS and BIOS patches for variants of Spectre though, and we won't likely be seeing in-hardware fixes for that until at least next year's processors. Of course, it's possible that new vulnerabilities could get discovered in the interim, that may take additional years to get fixed in hardware. As far as the performance impact of the OS fixes go, it's apparently pretty minor on recent hardware, and Microsoft said they are working on an updated Spectre V2 patch to be released for Windows 10 next spring that should lessen the performance impact further.

Either Intel's or AMD's current processors should be significantly faster than your overclocked FX-8350. For software that is limited by CPU performance, a 2700X should likely be upward of 50% faster at lightly threaded tasks, and more than twice as fast at less-common tasks that can fully utilize all 16 of its threads, and the 9900K would be even faster still. How noticeable that will be for you might depend on what you are using them for though.

At the very least, something like a 2080 Ti would be a lot faster than your current 970, likely around 3 to 4 times as fast, even before considering the potential of it's RTX and Tensor cores. What sort of monitor are you using now though? Is that something else you might want to upgrade?

Keep in mind, that's a best-case scenario. In practice, NVMe often won't be much faster than SATA SSDs at many common tasks. For something like loading levels in most games, the computer needs to process the data while loading it, so the impact of an NVMe drive on load times won't be all that noticeable in many cases. For something like copying files however, the difference can potentially be much larger.

IamMike

Honorable
Oct 11, 2014
Thx for the detailed answer!

I'm not sure when i will upgrade & it sounds i better wait a bit untill next cpus comes out around 2020 ...
I think i better finish my game i'm working on first, it will take a bit longer but i'll get there to.
If the game sells well, money shouldn't be a problem, but i should at least wait 1 year untill i got a full year of revenues for that game.
If i got a large amount of money, i plan on hiring 5 up to 10 people to help me and start a small business, so we can produce games faster,
but that will require maybe 10 good computers to.
It's hard to say when my game will be finished as i work alone and got a large household but i estimate 6 months at least up to 1 & a half year maybe.

For the RAM part, i need at least 32 GB, i can easy get peak moments to 32 gb within 1-2 min, & if i don't notice it right away, the system will start freezing badly & i might not be able to save my work and/or recover it.

For the cpu part, i'm ready to pay a few more bucks for a bit more performance if you say intel will perform faster.

I use 2 x Samsung 27 inch monitors atm.

Idk, maybe i should better wait at least 2 years untill the better stuff comes out, it's true when you say they plan on making new ram ,
maybe we will require other cpus & mobos that work with it.

Anyways, thx for your reply.