Help me decide, ASUS Maximus Formula or P5E ??

theamok

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
Hi

I want to build a new rig and I want to use it primarily for gaming.
I am limited to 2 motherboard choices

- ASUS Maximus Formula
- ASUS P5E

The P5E supports DDR3 while the Maximum doesn't
but seems like the Maximus has better overclocking but the p5E also overclocks very well.

is it worth buying the Maximus motherboard and losing the DDR3 feature?

or is it very early to buy DDR3 from now as it is still not available?

I also have a Slient square cooler for the processor, so overclocking is possible for me

I would really appreciate some professional help to decide which one to choose.
Thanks

Torbjorn

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2007
I cannot speak for the p5e, but I own a Maximus Formula (MF).

I went with the MF since ddr3 is still to expensive for my taste, and seem to bring minimal performance enchancements. I got 4GB of Corsair memory extremely cheap, and paying 2-3 times as much for 2 GB of DDR3 seemed like a bad deal. Since the sockets for intel processors isnt changing for a while, its possible to replace the MF and memory with an upgraded motherboard and DDR3 when the prices come down.

The bad things ive found out on the MF so far are:

NB & SB seems to run hot (apparently bios related)

Shaky Bios releases (im running 602, 7-8 series went up and were removed pretty fast, 9 series went from 01 to 03 in what seemed like a few days, and many are complaining on the ASUS forums about issues with the BIOS)

The included audio riser-card suffers from interference and static noise on some setups(mine included), I now have 2 audiocards, one SB that has clear sound and the included one. The problem is apparently due to something called a ground loop, and might be electrical rather than component based, but the SB card is somehow able to filter this out, which the SupremeFX does not.

Besides those points I am happy with my choice.

I hope this was some help for you
Regards
Torbjörn

theamok

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
Thanks alot Torbjorn

I think things are going towards the P5E now.
plus I ll get DDR3 memory for the future.

Hope the P5E doesn't have similar issues

Thanks again for your reply