help me decide, choice of boards

sea_rose

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
hello, I am new to the forum as a poster but a long time lurker.

I'm wanting to upgrade my machine. I used to overclock in the past but due to financial commitments (new family) haven't had a new machine for about 4 years so I'm a bit behind the curve.

I've got a system fleshed out. I've been saving for this so it's gonna be fairly high because I reckon it's got to last me a while.

I know the graphics side of things is a bit up in the air, so I'm going to wait for a 8950 or R600 card once they are out. A friend is giving me a basic PCI-E card in the meantime to keep me going.

I'm getting

E6700 duo core
2gb corsair DDR2 ram
seasonic M12 PSU
thermaltake full tower
150gb raptor drive to boot from
2x250gb sata in RAID
21" LCD
going with on board sound for now but will upgrade later.

I do some sound editing, a bit of video work, lot of games and quite a bit of 3D. I suppose I've been lazy at keeping my machine up to date because I've been using the works one up till now.

One thing I can't really decide on is the motherboard. I just can't get over the choice of boards out there.

I used to use ASus in the past but I'm open to suggestions. A quad core interests me for my rendering work in the future. The way things are going at the company I'll probably be freelancing in the next 6 months so the ability to render fast will become important later.

so far I've considered

Asus Striker (bit pricey)
BFG 680 (although aren't these the same?)
Asus P5W64WSPRO
Intel Bad axe2
Gigabyte DQ6
Gigabyte DS4 and 3

Another that has caught my eye is

Asus Commando.

but thats quite a new board and I'm not sure how it is, xtreme systems doesn't feature much on it.

I know the intel is probably a safe bet but if I want to screw a bit more performance out of my system should I look at something else. doesn't the intel have locked multipliers anyway? Oh I'm air cooling by the way. not liquid cooling, too much hassle for me.

jeff_2087

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
Looks pretty good, though I recommend the e6600 over the e6700. Forking over $200 US for the 6700 just gives you another 266 stock MHz, and that can easily be reclaimed by a very slight OC on the e6600. They both OC very well anyway so you wouldn't get a much higher OC on the 6700 than the 6600.

As for the motherboard, there's lots of good boards out now for the C2D. The Gigabyte DS3 is very popular, as is the Asus P5B Deluxe. The Asus P5N-E SLi is a solid board based on the 650i chipset, I've heard. The Striker and the BFG 680 are both based on the Nvidia 680i chipset, but the Striker is Asus's design and the BFG is a reference design.

I don't know much about the Commando, but I get the impression its an enthusiast board, and meant to give very fine control on overclocking.

If you want onboard RAID, the Asus P5B Deluxe and P5N-E SLi support RAID 0,1,5, and 10. The Gigabyte DS3 only supports 0 and 1 though.

All in all, I recommend the Gigabyte DS3 or the Asus P5B Deluxe.

All these boards are quad-core ready.

sea_rose

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
thanks for the response. I've been doing some more reading and the two I am starting to narrow too are

Asus Commando 965 chipset
INtel Bad Axe 2 975 chipset.

I know the 965 is more recent, I know both will take quad core later but I've been reading that the intel boards multiplier is locked unless you are running the extreme processors. does that hinder performance for the normal duo cores?

how about stability? how do they compare. from what I've been able to read so far, the commando would seem to have more clocking options but I know this is a new board whereas the intel has had a bit longer to mature.

sea_rose

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
thanks for the response. I've been doing some more reading and the two I am starting to narrow too are

Asus Commando 965 chipset
INtel Bad Axe 2 975 chipset.

I know the 965 is more recent, I know both will take quad core later but I've been reading that the intel boards multiplier is locked unless you are running the extreme processors. does that hinder performance for the normal duo cores?

how about stability? how do they compare. from what I've been able to read so far, the commando would seem to have more clocking options but I know this is a new board whereas the intel has had a bit longer to mature.