Question Help me decide how to go with this upgrade(and if at all)

Aug 13, 2019
Hi, let's start with my current setup: i7 4790k(with hyper 212 heatsink cooler), GTX 1070, OCZ ZS 550W 80 Plus Bronze PSU, 4x4GB RAM DDR3 1600MHz and I also use 144hz monitor

I believe that's all there is to know, now, I play quite a few games, starting at World of Tanks, going through games like CS:GO and Europa Universalis 4 ending at newest Call of Duty and Battlefield 1 currently I can only get stable 144fps in CS:GO

my initial plan was to go with Ryzen 5 3600 because it was recommended to me, but after digging deeper I started considering different options and now I'm aiming at i5 9600k, here I have first concern, I looked up benchmark comparison of this i9 vs my current CPU and in games it honestly didn't seem as an impressive upgrade, but there could be many factors so I'm just basically asking if this i5 would support playing more modern games like BF1 or CoD on 144fps and would it be overall a significant upgrade worth the effort and money

another factor is my hyper 212 heatsink cooler, is it good enough for i5 9600k if it was fine for i7 4790k? I mean there are two more cores after all and they boost to 4.6GHz not 4.4GHz

motherboard needs to be changed as well, I went on a popular site for buying computer components here in Poland, and honestly there's just too many options, 2 ram slots or 4? I believe 16GB is enough for gaming and browsing so 2x8GB should be enough, I dunno which mobo to choose though, I'd like to be able to OC in case I ever decide to risk it all for small boost. I'll just leave it up to you to recommend something good because I simply have no idea where to go with this one

and last, RAM, here pretty simply I(for now) chose 2x8GB HyperX DDR4 3200MHz, CL16 RAM memory, it is probably fine because it is only RAM at the end of the day, what could go wrong? However it is better to ask whether this is a good choice or should I look for something else

I was told that in case of Ryzen 5 3600 my PSU would be fine, but just to be sure, is 550W 80 Plus Bronze enough for this or not?

Soooo is i5 9600k upgrade good enough from i7 4790k?(I look forward to 144fps gaming if it's possible in this price range), what motherboard should I get?(probably 2 RAM slots will be fine but I'm just not knowledgeable enough to decide this for sure, so that's more like my guess than decision) Is my heatsink cooler good enough for such an upgrade? And finally, is RAM I chose fine?

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
To get 144+ Constant FPS you would have to have the max possible CPU and GPU available and even those won't do Ultra in everything.

For BF1 you need to do some settings tweaking but a Ryzen 3600X and I5 9600K matched with an RTX 2060 Super or RX 5700XT will get you there.

144+ FPS is an expensive expectation which is why the majority of us stay in the 60hz to 120hz range.

Building the Best PC for Battlefield 1- Tested and explained

Regarding overclocking Intel CPUs much depends upon the motherboard you get. Regarding Ryzen overclocking, you will not get much, they are almost pushed to their limit from the factory, fast RAM is more important for higher fps in games.

Suggested build:

Intel i7 9700K
Gigabyte Aorus Ultra motherboard
RTX 2080 video card
Corsair 650 watt bronze power supply

A couple of games actually need 32 gigabytes of RAM today, however, none that you listed requier that much. COD MW is a RAM pig however and if you game more than a few hours even 32GB is not enough, the computer will need to be rebooted to free RAM for smooth game play.

The hyper 212 is good enough to cool an i5 9600K and you power supply is enough as well. The montherboard I mentioned will work with an i5 9600K. HyperX DDR4 3200MHz, CL16 RAM will work. The OCZ ZS 550W 80 Plus Bronze PSU is enough for a Ryzen 5 3600.

You will need to turn some game settings down to get 144fps with your GTX 1070, however, it can be done.

You can see my system specs from another thread here:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...or-just-upgrade-my-gpu.3548327/#post-21431227

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
A couple of games actually need 32 gigabytes of RAM today, however, none that you listed requier that much. COD MW is a RAM pig however and if you game more than a few hours even 32GB is not enough, the computer will need to be rebooted to free RAM for smooth game play.

One would call that a memory leak or bad coding. There is nothing normal about a program that doesn't normalize RAM usage. There are no games that need 32gb of RAM, RDR2 at Ultra settings would be the closest but it's still a coded mess that handles RAM poorly at higher settings.

There is also no reason to have to reboot to clear RAM. If a program is staying resident in the RAM when you close it then something is wrong in the coding and probably linked to the memory leak as well.

If you want to purge idle tasks "Cache" that are eating memory with a single keystroke then create a shortcut and plop in this code.

%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

This is a pretty old school method but it still works today.

Just jumping in...for max FPS especially 144Hz, if you can stretch to the 9700K or 9700KF then great as that is a serious gaming CPU that is fractionally shy of the 9900K and will push max fps and drive GPU's very well also it will last a lot longer.

The 9600K though good does struggle in some games that do use threads as reviewed by Gamers Nexus. As you are looking at 144Hz gaming the 9700K will be a very solid foundation and push the GTX 1070 to its best. When you next upgrade your GPU then you will unlock even more performance from the 9700K...

As to RAM, DDR4 3200 is more than good enough though with black Friday there are some great deals and if you can get some DDR4 3600...

With regards to a cost effective Z390 motherboard, a Gigabyte Auros Elite or Pro both have a very solid 12 phase VRM and are priced very well...

Example:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gJy8XP

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $579.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-26 14:24 EST-0500

I can't believe how low the price of RAM has come!!!! $80 for DDR4 3600 and it's GSkill Trident Z RGB no less.

thekillerx10

Honorable
Apr 12, 2018
Hi, let's start with my current setup: i7 4790k(with hyper 212 heatsink cooler), GTX 1070, OCZ ZS 550W 80 Plus Bronze PSU, 4x4GB RAM DDR3 1600MHz and I also use 144hz monitor

I believe that's all there is to know, now, I play quite a few games, starting at World of Tanks, going through games like CS:GO and Europa Universalis 4 ending at newest Call of Duty and Battlefield 1 currently I can only get stable 144fps in CS:GO

my initial plan was to go with Ryzen 5 3600 because it was recommended to me, but after digging deeper I started considering different options and now I'm aiming at i5 9600k, here I have first concern, I looked up benchmark comparison of this i9 vs my current CPU and in games it honestly didn't seem as an impressive upgrade, but there could be many factors so I'm just basically asking if this i5 would support playing more modern games like BF1 or CoD on 144fps and would it be overall a significant upgrade worth the effort and money

another factor is my hyper 212 heatsink cooler, is it good enough for i5 9600k if it was fine for i7 4790k? I mean there are two more cores after all and they boost to 4.6GHz not 4.4GHz

motherboard needs to be changed as well, I went on a popular site for buying computer components here in Poland, and honestly there's just too many options, 2 ram slots or 4? I believe 16GB is enough for gaming and browsing so 2x8GB should be enough, I dunno which mobo to choose though, I'd like to be able to OC in case I ever decide to risk it all for small boost. I'll just leave it up to you to recommend something good because I simply have no idea where to go with this one

and last, RAM, here pretty simply I(for now) chose 2x8GB HyperX DDR4 3200MHz, CL16 RAM memory, it is probably fine because it is only RAM at the end of the day, what could go wrong? However it is better to ask whether this is a good choice or should I look for something else

I was told that in case of Ryzen 5 3600 my PSU would be fine, but just to be sure, is 550W 80 Plus Bronze enough for this or not?

Soooo is i5 9600k upgrade good enough from i7 4790k?(I look forward to 144fps gaming if it's possible in this price range), what motherboard should I get?(probably 2 RAM slots will be fine but I'm just not knowledgeable enough to decide this for sure, so that's more like my guess than decision) Is my heatsink cooler good enough for such an upgrade? And finally, is RAM I chose fine?
You need to upgrade gpu to get constant 144 fps in games you've mentioned

Aug 13, 2019
Regarding overclocking Intel CPUs much depends upon the motherboard you get. Regarding Ryzen overclocking, you will not get much, they are almost pushed to their limit from the factory, fast RAM is more important for higher fps in games.

Suggested build:

Intel i7 9700K
Gigabyte Aorus Ultra motherboard
RTX 2080 video card
Corsair 650 watt bronze power supply

The hyper 212 is good enough to cool an i5 9600K and you power supply is enough as well. The montherboard I mentioned will work with an i5 9600K. HyperX DDR4 3200MHz, CL16 RAM will work. The OCZ ZS 550W 80 Plus Bronze PSU is enough for a Ryzen 5 3600.

You will need to turn some game settings down to get 144fps with your GTX 1070, however, it can be done.

You can see my system specs from another thread here:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...or-just-upgrade-my-gpu.3548327/#post-21431227
First and most important problem with this build is that CPU alone eats whole budget, not even gonna mention RTX