[SOLVED] Help me decide if I should change psu before going with ryzen.

Dec 25, 2019
Hi, I have been using a Seasonic S12II 520w for the last couple of years with an fx 8320 and an r9 380 and it has worked well but now I'm upgrading to Ryzen (b450 motherboard and a 1500x that I found for 150$) and Idk if I should keep my PSU or change it for another one. I have heard it wasn't that good for newer components so I'm here to clear my doubts.

Also, my country is going through an economic crisis so the only options I have for another PSU are these ones.

THERMALTAKE TR2 500W

GIGABYTE 400W 80 PLUS WHITE(PW)

THERMALTAKE SMART RGB 500W

EVGA 550W N1

Gigabyte 500W PB500 Bronze

Cooler Master 600W Masterwatt Lite

Aerocool Cylon 500W Bronze

Deepcool 500W DA500 Bronze

Personally I was leaning on the Gigabyte 500W PB500 Bronze but I would like getting a little help before I decide.

Last edited:
Solution
I only thought of upgrading because I saw that my PSU was an older model and it didn't work that well with newer parts. But if the best I could do is a sidegrade I guess waiting is the better call.
Its not even close to a sidegrade. Its a pretty serious downgrade. The only features you will be missing are those for is the added power states (usually for hibernating your PC) and do nothing for performance. * Also I doubt those units have the feature anyway. The better PSUs would come in around 70-$100. Say an EVGA G3 (absolutely not the N1), Corsair CX (2017 or newer), Corsair RM/RMx and Seasonic FOCUS units.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
if those are the options, keep the seasonic, the ryzen will use less power than the FX you are currently powering, upgrading will be a relief on the PSU, not a burden.

I just replaced my 955 black with the 1500x. great little chip.

Reactions: Laynb
Dec 25, 2019
if those are the options, keep the seasonic, the ryzen will use less power than the FX you are currently powering, upgrading will be a relief on the PSU, not a burden.

I just replaced my 955 black with the 1500x. great little chip.

Yes is pretty good, I thought in getting a used i7 but the deal for the 1500x was too good to pass it.

I only thought of upgrading because I saw that my psu was an older model and it wasn't that good with newer parts. But if the best I could do is a sidegrade I guess waiting is the better call.

I only thought of upgrading because I saw that my PSU was an older model and it didn't work that well with newer parts. But if the best I could do is a sidegrade I guess waiting is the better call.
Its not even close to a sidegrade. Its a pretty serious downgrade. The only features you will be missing are those for is the added power states (usually for hibernating your PC) and do nothing for performance. * Also I doubt those units have the feature anyway. The better PSUs would come in around 70-$100. Say an EVGA G3 (absolutely not the N1), Corsair CX (2017 or newer), Corsair RM/RMx and Seasonic FOCUS units.

Reactions: Laynb
Solution