[SOLVED] Help me decide my motherboard

Oct 22, 2020
hello I am going to build my first gaming pc in the next month ryzen 3500x and 2060s I am confused about which motherboard I should go with I will not be over clocking these are my options
Msi b450 pro m2 matx
Asus prime b450m-k
Asrock b550m-hdv
I do not the different between b450 and b550 nor about pcie and I also will not be upgrading mt processor for 3 years
Pls help me out thanks

Solution
b450 is slightly older. it works with more of the ryzen processors but wont work with the newer ones which the B550 will - this might not be useful though since the b450 was only 2 years old before it no longer supported newer ryzen processors (without Bios upgrades)... so in 3 years the newer b550 probably wont be compatible with the latest ryzen cpu's.

from your list i would Asus one, (if you're not using hdmi - since it doenst have an hdmi port) otherwise go with the asrock.

but before you go out and by anything you should really look into ATX boards - they fit into mid-tower cases (Standard size cases) and are generally a few bucks for than their mAtx counterpart.

that being said they are definetly worth it... ATX boards have...
hello I am going to build my first gaming pc in the next month ryzen 3500x and 2060s I am confused about which motherboard I should go with I will not be over clocking these are my options
Msi b450 pro m2 matx
Asus prime b450m-k
Asrock b550m-hdv
I do not the different between b450 and b550 nor about pcie and I also will not be upgrading mt processor for 3 years
Pls help me out thanks
B450 vs, b550, Main difference is that b550 are guaranteed to work with upcoming Ryzen 5000 but MSI has promised BIOS update while Asus may do so in January. B550 also in general have a bit better VRM. So in essence any of those 3 would do the job for 3500x.

Balefire

Reputable
Oct 18, 2020
b450 is slightly older. it works with more of the ryzen processors but wont work with the newer ones which the B550 will - this might not be useful though since the b450 was only 2 years old before it no longer supported newer ryzen processors (without Bios upgrades)... so in 3 years the newer b550 probably wont be compatible with the latest ryzen cpu's.

from your list i would Asus one, (if you're not using hdmi - since it doenst have an hdmi port) otherwise go with the asrock.

but before you go out and by anything you should really look into ATX boards - they fit into mid-tower cases (Standard size cases) and are generally a few bucks for than their mAtx counterpart.

that being said they are definetly worth it... ATX boards have more fan headers, more sata ports, more dimm slots for ram (Which has always been a must for me since it lets me upgrade my amount of memory without having to replace the older ones)
most importantly - ATX boards have many PCI-e slots

you said that you don't know much about PCI-e slots so I'll tell you a little about them. of course one will go for your GPU, the others will come in handy down the road. you can by expansion cards on the cheap (I get mine for about $10 usd). this will let you add more USB ports or Ethernet ports or any number of other things.

Also having a good amount of PCI-e ports is always a boon if you plan on adding SDD's via this method.

if you want my opinion on a good budget board it would be the Asrock b450 Steel legend. or Asus tuf b450 pro

Solution
Oct 22, 2020

that being said they are definetly worth it... ATX boards have more fan headers, more sata ports, more dimm slots for ram (Which has always been a must for me since it lets me upgrade my amount of memory without having to replace the older ones)
most importantly - ATX boards have many PCI-e slots

you said that you don't know much about PCI-e slots so I'll tell you a little about them. of course one will go for your GPU, the others will come in handy down the road. you can by expansion cards on the cheap (I get mine for about $10 usd). this will let you add more USB ports or Ethernet ports or any number of other things.

Also having a good amount of PCI-e ports is always a boon if you plan on adding SDD's via this method.

if you want my opinion on a good budget board it would be the Asrock b450 Steel legend. or Asus tuf b450 pro
Thanks u so much for all the information u have provided I will definitely go with a atx board as u
have recommended what would u suggest b450 or b550 should I wait for the 5000 series processors and just get a b550?

Balefire

Reputable
Oct 18, 2020
The 5000 series will be a bit more expensive, but if you can afford it then go for it. in that case you will need a b550 mb or an x570. that being said i wouldn't wait for it. i know it's a good line, but by my reasoning, you can wait a few months for it to come out and pay a few hundred bucks more for it and in a years time another, even better cpu will be released - basically there will aways be something better on the horizon.

Honestly in my opinion the ryzen 5 3500x will serve you just fine and if you really want to get something more powerful the 3600, 3600x and 3600xt are available.

as for the board dont worry about future proofing, since odds are that by the time you're ready to upgrade even the newest board will be out of date, so just get one that has all the features that will make your life better today (for the next 3 - 5 years)

https://www.amd.com/en/chipsets/b550
go to this website there will be a table that outlines all of the chipsets and what cpu's they support... dont bother buying a board or processor without first making sure they're compatible - its just a pain to have to upgrade the bios

TRENDING THREADS