[SOLVED] Help me decide on a GPU

Apr 22, 2020
Hello everyone, I'm asking for a little help with a GPU decision. This is my build and my monitor. https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/Wacmartin/saved/YhwdXL
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...ed-gaming-monitor-gf276-abmipx-black/11580775
The 780ti is a hand me down of a hand me down, and I think it's my turn to upgrade and do a hand me down. It seems to be overheating in Destiny 2, and constantly boots me to my desktop screen in The Outer Worlds. I game on my pc casually, do some streaming and recording from my Xbox and just general pc tasks as well. The Xbox does get a lot less use though now since I subscribed to Gamepass Ultimate. All components of my pc probably won't be upgraded any time soon unless absolutely needed, I'm the type of person that uses products until it breaks. So what I'm saying is it doesn't really need to grow with new components down the road.
My budget is $350 Canadian, I play Sea of Thieves, Destiny 2, The Division 2, The Outer Worlds right now. Right now I'm looking at the 5500 XT, and 1650, to 1660 Super.

Solution
You mentioned a wide spectrum of capabilities in potential graphics cards.
Look at tom's gpu hierarchy table for a ranking:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html
I think if you are going to change out a graphics card, you should make it a big jump or you might be disappointed.
If your GTX780ti is failing, that is a different issue.

A 2000 series card makes sense if you really want ray tracing. Otherwise, I think you can do better with something else.

If you buy used on ebay, you will be somewhat protected.
Buy from an individual who is upgrading and does not need to make a profit like a retailer.

As always, know your seller.
Dec 15, 2019
Okay so, first of all, I'd recommend looking for other monitors, the one you chose is kinda expensive for a 75hz refresh rate monitor. I got a 144 for 300 American dollars, check it out if you want to:https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/access...0H17245FY0-24-5inch-Monitor-HDMI/p/65D9GAC4US .about the gpu , Raedon has some problems but will get you more performance for your money, there are a lot of complains about bugs so I dunno about that, I have an rtx 2060 super, I would go with the 1660 super since the games you're playing aren't that heavy and this card is pretty decent.

Apr 22, 2020
Okay so, first of all, I'd recommend looking for other monitors, the one you chose is kinda expensive for a 75hz refresh rate monitor. I got a 144 for 300 American dollars, check it out if you want to:https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories-and-monitors/gaming-accessories/Y25f-10H17245FY0-24-5inch-Monitor-HDMI/p/65D9GAC4US .about the gpu , Raedon has some problems but will get you more performance for your money, there are a lot of complains about bugs so I dunno about that, I have an rtx 2060 super, I would go with the 1660 super since the games you're playing aren't that heavy and this card is pretty decent.

I already own that monitor, and I bought it on Boxing day essentially a shopping holiday right after Christmas in Canada. I only paid $180 for it and I thought it was a good deal, maybe I'm wrong though. The monitor you linked to would be around $425 Canadian with the exchange rate right now.
I'm thinking of saving some more money and going with an RTX 2060 non super, my only problem there is with COVID-19 the economy is tanking and GPU prices are going up daily here in Canada.

for your budget your going to struggle to find anything better than the 780ti
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#sort=-price&page=1&X=21730,36091

I would look for 2nd hand cards

I keep hearing that I wont see much performance increase for a new card within my budget. Buying second hand electronics is very iffy to me honestly, on top of that I don't know about the states but in Canada it seems everyone wants top dollar for pc components. Last week I saw a 1060 listed for $400 Canadian and a 1080ti founders card for $1400 Canadian, maybe they were gold plated but it was ridiculous. At this time I'm thinking just a slight improvement for a card that will work reliably and not overheat is a trade off I'll have to make.

I'm pretty sure he meant that the 350 CA$ is for the gpu.

Yes $350 Canadian is my budget strictly for the GPU nothing else, $350 Canadian the best card I could get is a 1660 super. For between $70-$100 more I could go with a 2060 or 5600 XT, I just honestly don't know if that's worth it for my system and monitor. At the same time I also have no money invested in my 780ti, so I got my worth out of it.

Okay, if I could up my budget to $500 Canadian (I really don't want to in these times) what would you guys suggest. Please be mindful I'm cheap and $500 for a GPU is scary for me in these scary times. If you think I can get away with a 1660 super and be happy let me know as well. I'm not an enthusiast just a causal gamer who probably wont even notice a difference.

Last edited:
I think if you are going to change out a graphics card, you should make it a big jump or you might be disappointed.

A 2000 series card makes sense if you really want ray tracing. Otherwise, I think you can do better with something else.

Buy from an individual who is upgrading and does not need to make a profit like a retailer.

Solution
Apr 22, 2020

I'm going to check out your link. I honestly don't know if my 780ti is failing, I can tell you it's the loudest fan in my system, I have 5 120mm fans and I can still hear that smaller fan over the other 5 fans. Now I did have to turn my GPU fan up after I was being booted from Destiny 2 every time i would be fighting multiply enemies. The game would freeze the audio would continue and after more then a minute it would boot me to my desktop and I would be creeping up to 90C, the same would happen in The Division 2, with The Outer Worlds I would just be booted straight to my desktop screen and would also be creeping to 90C. That never happened when I played The Division 2 when I had a GT1030 in my pc, which is crazy to me, I would only average about 30fps though.

I honestly don't even know what ray tracing does, I'm not an enthusiast just a casual gamer. Spending $500 on GPU sounds crazy to me as that's more then half of what I spent on my entire system.

I was happy with the graphics quality I was getting with the 780ti until I was being booted from games, and had to lower my settings and put in a fps cap. Not being an enthusiast and coming from a console and that limits my monitor has am I really going to notice a difference? I'll probably just be happy with a reliable card that doesn't boot me from games. God forbid it's a different issue that's causing this.

Sounds like you are having a heat problem with your graphics card.
80c. might be a normal running temperature.
Perhaps the fans on the card are clogged with dust.

Your GTX780ti is about the equivalent of a more modern GTX1060 for comparison purposes.

If a game supports ray tracing, you get more accurate display of lighting and shadows.
Probably not worth it.
One of the cards you mentioned like a GTX1650 super would be a modest upgrade.

Apr 22, 2020
So I picked up a Zotac Gaming GTX 1660 Super AMP, and have no problems at all so far with Destiny 2, or The Outer Worlds. Haven't played Sea of Thieves or The Division 2 yet, although I wasn't having any issues with the 780ti and Sea of Thieves. Also well using a decibel meter my is now 10 decibels lower then it was with the 780ti, that improvement alone was worth the upgrade.

Thank you for all the help!