Help me decide on a PC system that looks awesome and performs very well :)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Brudarion

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016
Hello Toms Hardware

I have heard from my friend that this site's forums is very helpful for IT questions and pc builds so I decided to give this a go. I basically need to buy a pc VERY soon as my current one broke down.. Now I think I can still salvage some parts but I'm not quite sure. In any case I'm looking for an entire new build. I have no budget whatsoever. I tried installing my new gtx 1070 in my old system and from there it just went downhill and I accidently broke my pc I guess (BIOS related).
The purpose of my system will be: Gaming at 1080p/1440p, I want to have dual monitors, but I don't think I will be gaming on both of them honestly, I really wouldn't like having a big black bar between the screens when playing. I'll use it only to play on 1 screen and on the other screen to have windows open like youtube or livestream programs or other things that will run in the background. I will be playing very taxing games and it has to be relatively future proof, I will be livestreaming, youtube (so video editing, I would upload 2-3 times a week). Keep in mind the very taxing games please because that's what the pc probably needs to be centered around, and also good enough for livestreaming and youtube ofcourse. The games are like GTA V, Witcher 3, Skyrim with 4k textures, ark evolved and other taxing ones that people use benchmarks on to test their GPU's.
So now that you know that theres no budget and the purpose of the system, I would also like a system that is black and red themed (with red led's)... my last pc was randomly put together because that was my first time building a pc ever so I wasn't that picky, now I want to be pickier. :)
So if you guys are willing, help a fellow green IT enthousiast out I would greatly appreciate it. :)
I will most likely ask many questions in this thread so be prepared and patient please.
These are the parts I came up with so far: :)
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/fhkJM8

Additional info or questions:
CPU cooler: I dont know what to go for here... I would like a nice stylish one and good performer but at the same time not conflict with the system and not too loud.
RAM: No idea, theres some nice LED ram out there and also Ripjaws z are very nice but then there are the compatibilty issues and also how much hz should I aim for (ram is cheap so i can afford all of them I think)
Storage: I have 2x 1T hdd for game storage from my last pc and im wondering what storage to buy to put my os on and for games to reduce loading times, how do you guys feel about m,2 ssd's? Never used it and not sure if the difference in performance is good and worth the price. If it is worth the price I might think about putting the os on this to make it presumably fast and my main games that benefit from this ssd.
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card (I bought this GPU already for my previous system that didn't work. I just hope the card actually works and isn't DOA... also is this GPU good
enough for my needs? Also keep in mind I bought 1070 as a temporary solution, down the line in 1 or 2 years I will buy a single GPU but I'm waiting for a good TI card to come up and blow up performance charts like the 1000 series did or the 980TI, after that I'll want my system to be good enough for at least 4 years.
Case: I think this case will be good and looks nice.. my first ever case was also corsair.
Case LED fans work with this system?
OS: I'm guessing windows 10 here, my favourite is 7 but there are performance gains when going to win 10 I heard along with dx12 compatibility so just for future proofing sake win 10 for me I think.
Wireless Network adaptor: I use a USB network stick right now but I think an adaptor would be better.. Also can I disable this if the stick ends up being better? I know I know, wireless! NO! But this is only a temporary solution for 6 months until I move to my new place.
Monitors (2): no idea here. Heres another dillema honestly as im a monitor noob. I dont know wether to go for 1080p monitor and aim for 120 + fps or 1440p and around 60fps mostly. Also do you really see a big difference between 1080p and 1440p? Also can I have a main 1440p monitor and my secondary 1080p is this possible? And also for example if i cant handle a game at 1440p cant i just downgrade it so i have the same quality like 1080p by putting the res down? I really need as much as possible knowledge here.
Sound Card: Is this needed for good surround sound? Is it worth it? Do you hear much difference?

If you want to change parts of my build I have so far then please by all means go ahead and suggest me but keep in mind the setup I have in mind (black and red with red led if possible, good performance, not TOO loud, and good for what I'll be using it for).

If you guys end up helping me I will be really grateful. :)
Thank you in advance and I'm sorry for this motherload of text but at least you know where I'm standing in this case.
Let's make a cool gaming system together! :)

Solution
COOLER:
the R1 is pain black and one of the best air coolers there is.
also you can change the CPU fan to something that's more your style.
bequiet do black Coolers as well.
personally I'm not a fan of liquid cooling. it's better looking but at premium cost and the thought of a leak would make me sick^^
but many people love them

RAM: got the Ripjaws V 3000 myself, gotta be careful with coolers. I use a Scythe Mugen 4 and can't use the 1st RAM slot, so my RAM is in slots 2+4.
the red Corsair Vengeance are not as high and are quite good as well.

DISPLAY/GPU: the second monitor doesn't produce much load and doesn't really matter (unless you plan on watching full HD youtube videos in full screen while gaming on max)
the GTX1070 was...

Brudarion

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016
I do use wireless and a temporary solution, in 6 months im moving and ill have cable but im wondering, since im using wireless. For now Im using a usb stick that receives internet from the router and for now it works ok. I saw that the alpha allows for multiple wifi connections to come in and out at the same time? Does this mean actual signals like multiple routers or channels from a single router?
I do see it has other features like an aditional slot for m.2 ssd's. By the way does the m.2 not conflict with gpu cards?
Thunderbolt 3 Type-C port is one of the features of the alpha and i have no clue what its for.
Wi-Fi with multi-user MIMO which is what i was talking about can you expand on this?
- This improves the performance of your wireless by allowing multiple connections in and out at the same time.
Bluetooth V4.1.. honestly this is whatever, when do we ever need bluetooth on our pc.
Aura RGB Strip headers, more interesting but ive never used this. Are these those strips of led lights people put in their computers? Also cant you get this to work with the normal hero board?
- 4-pin extension cable to facilitate RGB LED lighting around your motherboard with animations (static, strobe, breathing, colour-cycle, music effect, or CPU temperature indicator).
Is this all the notable differenecs they have? They are like 80 euros more expensive..

Brudarion

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016
Important update, I heard the samsung 950 pro ssd is very good BUT it has thermal throttling. Does anyone have this ssd and is it actually safe to put your OS on this chip? I want a fast pc but also a stable one.