Help me decide on upgrade

G

What I need to know is, am I going to see a significant boost in performance if I stick a GeForce2 Ultra in my system?

AMD K6-2 500
192MB RAM
32MB TNT2 Ultra

G

My main concern is about my processor causing a bottleneck that wipes out the advantage the graphics card gives me.

Anyone know anywhere they benchmark old cpus with new graphics cards and vice versa?

G

Your not going to see any significant difference until you replace both. However if you replace the CPU at least you'll have a faster CPU, instead of a fast video card waiting on a slow CPU.

I AM Canadian.

G

So your saying that even now I'm not getting the most out of my TNT2 Ultra, and that it would be pointless going for a GeForce2 Ultra. Better to upgrade my CPU?

G

If your going to replace your RAM get DDR, same price, faster RAM.

I AM Canadian.

kingbrd1

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2001
I wouldn't say an extra $35 is shockingly jigh for the peformance gain. We're not talking $200+ for a P4 board. The A7M266 is only $30 or so more expensive than the A7V133.

King

xxsk8er101xx

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
ya only if you play games... but also do consider you have an older board and the AGP slot is probably only 2x ... buy it from a store that has a good return policy... and don't be surprised if it doesn't work.. also do consider the pro version because it's a little cheaper and does just as good as the ultra

xxsk8er101xx

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
if you gots money restraints... consider a abit KT7A with a DURON processor.. lets say 700mhz should be good - you can always overclock it later ... check out mwave.com and search for ABIT bundles.... look for the mobo i mentioned ... the price is very good...

ABIT KT7A Motherboard Specs BUNDLE W/ COOLING FAN & (AMD T-BIRD 1000(266MHZ); KINGSTON 32X64 256MB PC133; ASSEMBLE/TEST BUNDLE) $280.00

you can't beat that price... and ya i picked the ghz processor too.. it would be cheaper if you got a duron.

and your graphics card...
LEADTEK WINFAST GEFORCE 2 PRO 64MB GTS 4XAGP POWERED BY NVIDIA (LIMITED EDITION) *W/TV OUT Detail Specs $179.00
thats the limited edition lol... here is the regular

LEADTEK WINFAST GEFORCE 2 GTS PRO 32MB 4XAGP POWERED BY NVIDIA *W/TV OUT 5.5 NS Detail Specs $139.00

here is your total price $419.00

you also gotta consider a new case too.. thats like 60 bucks and i recommend enlight cases...

so 500 bucks for a overhaul of your system is not bad! lol

good luck!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS