[SOLVED] Help me decide on whether to use the old cooler on new build, or buy a new one ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 15, 2023
Hello,

Im building a new setup and I wonder whether I should use my old noctua (with extention mounting kit) or get new cooler, I mean the old one still works so Im not sure. Doesnt anyone have experience with the "ArticFreezer?"

To be more specific Im considering to choose beteween
ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO White (VS) Noctua NH-D14

Thanks a lot for your opinion.

I wonder whether I should use my old noctua (with extention mounting kit) or get new cooler
you won't find any air cooler much better than the older Noctua.
just make sure any dust/debris is cleaned away and you use a higher-end thermal paste.

are you experiencing higher temperatures than you'd like, or any other reason you'd want to switch it out?

Reactions: 35below0

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
NH-D14 is a much larger cooler than the eSports DUO, they aren't really comparable. Noctua is well known for their quiet operation and long life fans. You can consider the heatsink itself a lifetime investment.

eSports Duo was a decent budget component a few years back. Thermalright has really pushed the quality of lower end coolers up a notch, so I lean towards them for most things.

Though it seems their price war may finally be abating as I have seen higher prices on some of their more famous models.

Reactions: WutisDat
Sep 15, 2023
you won't find any air cooler much better than the older Noctua.
just make sure any dust/debris is cleaned away and you use a higher-end thermal paste.

are you experiencing higher temperatures than you'd like, or any other reason you'd want to switch it out?
Well Im making a new build, and I wonder if I could use the old cooler (from the old system I been using) or rather try "newer" cooler. The noctua 14 seem to work alright in the old build, but with the different core Im not sure if it can handle it alright, Im getting the Ryzen 7800x3d What do you think, is the old noctua still comparable with the "ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO" eitherway seems fine for me tho I wonder which one of these can actually produce more cooling for the ryzen 7800x3d?

Sep 15, 2023
NH-D14 is a much larger cooler than the eSports DUO, they aren't really comparable. Noctua is well known for their quiet operation and long life fans. You can consider the heatsink itself a lifetime investment.

eSports Duo was a decent budget component a few years back. Thermalright has really pushed the quality of lower end coolers up a notch, so I lean towards them for most things.

Though it seems their price war may finally be abating as I have seen higher prices on some of their more famous models.
ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO cost around 55euro in my area, which is not much. But I guess I could still sell the noctua for around the same price, hence money is not an issue in this case. Im just trying to figure which one will provide better cooling/liability for that ryzen 7800x3d that Im considering to get. What do you think?

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
The 34 is kinda old by now. The Arctic Freezer 36 is the latest model and it can compete with Noctua.

But since you already have a very good cooler, why are you shopping for a new one? Looks?

What is your new build? What is the case + case fan configuration?
GPU? PSU?

These are coolers Arctic recommends for the 7800X3D: https://www.arctic.de/en/products/c...Filter=AM5&order=cogi-cpu-filter-tdp-sort&p=1

The 36 is available for only 20 euro + shipping.

Sep 15, 2023
The 34 is kinda old by now. The Arctic Freezer 36 is the latest model and it can compete with Noctua.

But since you already have a very good cooler, why are you shopping for a new one? Looks?

What is your new build? What is the case + case fan configuration?
GPU? PSU?

These are coolers Arctic recommends for the 7800X3D: https://www.arctic.de/en/products/cooling/cpu-cooler/cpu-air-cooler/?cogiCPUFilter=120#:#33f3fa27e0234d949bf8f03997806e4e&cogiManufacturerFilter=AMD&cogiSerieFilter=Ryzen 7xxx&cogiSocketFilter=AM5&order=cogi-cpu-filter-tdp-sort&p=1

The 36 is available for only 20 euro + shipping.
Just to decide if the (10yr old) noctua is still comparable with newer coolers, tho I wasnt aware of the 36 artic model, thanks for that. And yeah the look of noctua seems kinda strange, not sure why they had the brown fans in the past... As for that I guess I keep the noctua for a while and see after. Thanks for your help either way, have a nice day sir :)

Reactions: 35below0
Status
Not open for further replies.