[SOLVED] Help me design the no-compromise desktop storage system

YoungColieo

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015
I need a storage system to match my current specs. Don't know much about setting up storage systems, but don't let price be a barrier. My case is the Phanteks Enthoo Pro. If there is a guide somewhere to build a no-compromise setup that'd be super helpful. Thank you!

Setup:
MSI MEG Godlike z390 motherboard
Intel I9 9900k
Two GTX Titan X's in SLI (yeah, I know they're old, waiting for NVIDiAS new cards this summer)
16gb DDR4 ram Corsair vengance
ATX 1200i Corsair psu
Fully water-cooled with an overkill amount of radiators. In high use conditions, parts stay around 40c

Side note: I had an intel 1.2 tb PCIE slot sad but it stopped working today so I lost all my <Mod Edit>, this time it'd be great to have some sort of backup system or something

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
A "decent" storage setup consist of at least two parts:
  • the storage itself
  • the backup solution
So, let's start with how much storage you need, and what you use it for. Depending on that, you can go with "internal storage" (accessible only to tht PC), or "own cloud" where you put the storage on your local network.
A "decent" storage setup consist of at least two parts:
  • the storage itself
  • the backup solution
So, let's start with how much storage you need, and what you use it for. Depending on that, you can go with "internal storage" (accessible only to tht PC), or "own cloud" where you put the storage on your local network.

Solution
Depends on your needs....

a 1 TB NVME drive like a 970 EVO Plus is the current 'go to', but, if more than double the cost is not an issue, find a 2 TB unit...

If you want/need more space, a 2nd NVME SSD might be a 2 TB INtel 660P for some $230 or so....

You can get external USB hard drives for occasional backups in 3-4 TB capacity for $65 all day long...

USAFRet

Titan
"no compromise"
Means what, specifically?
Speed, stability, size?

Stability = a QNAP or Synology NAS box, in whatever size drives meets your needs.
Size? My Qnap has 50TB in or attached to it.
Speed = various combinations of solid state drives.