Help me figure out these wavy graphic banding issues in RE2

FlyingTripod

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
Hey folks,

In Resident Evil 2 Remake I've noticed that it will almost constantly throw these weird banding issues at me on textures. They look like air pressure charts you'd see on weather reports.

I have included several screen shots to show what I mean on Imgur

Moiré patterns might be the right term?

I've figured out what caused the noisy surface reflections (Screen Space Reflections) which is a shame since it looks great when it works but haven't been able to pin down this particular issue. I've tried various settings in game such as changing F/AF, tried a combination of the awful AA included along with super sampling and so forth but nothing seems to help.

At first I thought it was a monitor issue but (correct me if I am wrong) a screen shot is taking a picture of what's being rendered from the GPU right?

For reference, this is my system as shown through CPU-Z validation but a quick rundown being a GTX 1080, 8700k, 16GB DDR4 3000, AOC 27" AG271QG 1440p IPS G-sync.

I'd greatly appreciate any help.

I have almost identical spec, 8700k (stock), 1080 SC (stock), 16GB 3200 RAM, 32" IPS Panasonic HDTV, though 60Hz.

I've not noticed any of that to the degree you're showing, but I have noticed what appear to be blotchy reflections on the bronze colored pillars in the PD main room where you meet the cop.

I know some have shown settings on their 1080 Ti that well exceed the VRAM warning where it starts showing orange text. They go well into red text level. Coincidentally they don't talk about whether they have noticed any of these problems.

I took the warnings seriously because I know CAPCOM are at best mediocre at graphics quality as far as looks and optimization. I kept my VRAM just one notch below where it started showing orange text. I may try turning off Screen Space Reflections, and also changing from Dx12 to Dx11.

Many say Nvidia GPUs don't handle Dx12 well, especially in games where it's not optimized as well as it could be. I'll probably look at some bench videos first just to see how it compares visually and performance wise.

Just found a 4K video on a 2080 Ti showing roughly 20-30% better FPS using Dx11 vs Dx12, and it looks identical. He's also well exceeding his 11 GB VRAM limit at over 13 GB on settings, yet it doesn't lag. I'm willing to bet the graphics anomalies you're seeing are one of the settings being broken. Again, CAPCOM are not great at graphics. I recall turning off post processing in RE7, and it actually looked better.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aROjm7gtDpk"][/video]

TRENDING THREADS