help me... finalise my computer gaming package

ashkon52

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2005
hey fellas!

I was planning on putting together a new computer in the next month.
I will be using it to play games and surf the net..
I already own a 24inch Dell monitor...

Here is the proposal

CPU - Core2 duo E6600
Video Card - Evga 8800GTX
Ram - 2 Gb Ram DDr2 800
Sound card - Xfi EtremeGamer
Speakers - Logitech z5500D THX
HDD - 320 Seagate SATA
Motherboard - ?

Questions questions ... bare with me

1. I am totally confused about motherboard. I am not an overclocker (maybe in the future) and Im not into SLI technology.
So what is best at a reasonable price? What is a good quality stable motherboard?

2. Do I have bottlenecks in my system. Is the 8800GTx too much for the 6600 Cpu? I wanted to go with 8800 for the future direct x 10.

3. Ram brand? Again Im not an overclocker. What would you guys get.
Is it worth getting a brand name. OCz?

Do you guys see any reasonable means of boosting performance here...

I really doubt that there is anything that is too much for a Core 2, a single 8800GTX should be easy for a Core 2.

I would recommend an SLI MB, not so you can make an SLI rig now, but for the future. My experiance with SLI has been great, my single 6800 Ultra rig scored 5600 on 3DMark05, my SLI rig scores over 10000. That is nearly the 2X they claim.

The best MB I know of is eVGA's SLI for socket 775. I know it is pricey, but I think it is a case of "you get what you pay for". I would go with either them or Asus (they were always very good to me).

As for RAM, I always go with Corsair. Again, a pricey choice, but if you ever do a little OC, they rarely do poorly.

Good luck With Your Build! I get the fun of putting my new FX-60 in this weekend (to max out my 939 rig).

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
I would recommend a Asus P5B Deluxe, there is absolutely no point to go with an SLi setup as a single card later will trump two old cards. The P5b Deluxe is a solid mobo with a solid base of worked out kinks.

If you don't plan on overclocking then DDR2-800 is a NOT good buy, you don't need to for the extra speed and could settle for DDR2-667 which would allow you to use the memory now and in the future if you ever decided to upgrade your cpu to a 1333FSB cpu.

I would recommend getting Corsair DDR-667 thats a pretty good price and fits in with the rest of the components your getting.

everything else looks good, but you might want to pick out a case to put all those components in :wink:

brick88

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
you can go with a gigabyte s3 p965 board. its really good quality. and its 110 dollars. also asus is a very good mobo company. you really can't go wrong with asus or the gigabyte s3 imo. the gigabyte s3 overclocks very well also. for the ram you should be sure it has some good 4-4-4-12 timings. pqi, corsair, kingston, ocz and g-skillz are all good ram manufacturers and as i recall you can get cas 4 latency ocz for less than 200 dollars. the 8800gtx is a great choice. especially since ur gonna be running some high resolutions with that monitor. i remember reading an article on either anandtech or tomshardware that said that anything lower than an e6700 will bottleneck a 8800gtx (dunno whether it was sli'd or not it was a while back and i have a bad memory). but a very vanilla overclock to 3.0 ghz should keep that beast fed.

p.s.
you should look into a aftermarket hsf like a tuniq tower 120 or if ur worried about the tuniqs weight a scythe katana. they should keep ur cpu cooler and lengthen its lifespan.

ashkon52

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2005
thanks guys... some great points...

YEp... gotta get a case too... I have found that even harder to do.
I wanted to get a clear acrylic one...?
Something nice... I remember seeing an ASUS one but cant find where to buy.

Is it true clear cases are inferior.??

ANd definetely got to get some cooling components.

ACE mention about RAm-667... thats exactly the advice I was looking for.

thanks again fellas!

angelkiller

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
Just wanted to let you know, If this is your sound card, it is not a "true" X-Fi.

It is branded as an X-Fi, but this card (and the extreme audio) use a different Digital Sound Processor. (That is not an X-Fi)

The Xtreme Music is the lowest "true" X-Fi available.

ashkon52

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2005
hmmm... that is the card Im talking about...

but the link you provided says, it is a true Xfi card.

Can you elaborate.

brick88

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
if you go with a clear case or one with a side panel try to look for a psu with modular cables. speaking of which, what psu are you considering?

ashkon52

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2005
Im not sure about PSU.

As far as i know I was gonna just pick something in the 500W area... does it matter with PSU's.... eeek!

brick88

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
the brand of your psu is probably one of the most important parts. going cheap is a quick way to destroy ur build. also with your set up you should think of at least 600+ watts. heres a couple of links you should check out.

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp
should give you a rough idea about ur needs. you should also factor in some aging.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103
a list of some good psus

if you ask around someone should have the link to psu 101 which should help you out.

Even if you are not going clear side, I would still recommend modular cabling just to improve airflow.

I have Ultra's X2 550W power supply (w/ modular cabling) and it has worked great for my system and I think it should be enough for a single 8800GTX (it runs my A64 3800+ and dual 6800 Ultras fine, and they are pretty power hungry). I don't know about their reliability, though. So far it has been a great, stable power supply.

I would also recommend a case with a 120mm front and 120mm rear fan for a high end system like that. If you want a reasonable case (clear side, not too flashy) I would again recommend Ultra. I have one (the eTorque, or something like that). It is extremely good build quality and all tooless bays, PCI, etc. My only complaint is the lack of a removable MB tray.

Sorry, I didn't read the bottom of your post (dual cards != better tech). That is completely correct, and with how fast card tech is improving these days, SLI upgrades are a little outdated.

brick88

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
the 8800gtx drains about 170 watts on load. its extremely powerhungry. you need to find a powersupply with not one but 2 pci-e power connectors as the 8800gtx requires.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153039

thats a good start as this thermaltake is very reliable and delivers a good amount of amps across its 12v rails. one of the things that tell if something is a good power supply is how much of your power is being delivered on the 12v rails and how stable the power itself is. a horrible powersupply will deliver a low amount of amps per 12v rail (10-15) and have its power fluctuate.

as for cases the one im using is the apevia dreamerII.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811144026

it has two 80mm fans. one on the side and another on the top. and it has space for two 120mm fans. one in the front and another in the rear. its a very good case and the leds and lcd display up front add a nice touch.

ashkon52

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2005
thanks guys for all the advice

Im gonna go with the Thermaltake PSU

Ext64 - Yeh ... I do passionately believe Dual cards is bad technology.
Maybe it does increase the horsepower under the bonnet but as far as technology goes... your not paying for it. Your just paying twice for the same Research and development. Its all brawns and no brains.... and Its good profit making for the men in black suits.... if we all buy two of something. Hopefully in the future it wont get to a situation.. where we need to buy two lots of cards just to get decent framerates.
I dont support it... so I wont get it... this is my pro-active stance... (or is it no active stance??)

Thats another story I guess... I could go on. Each to their own I guess.

Ive heard the old cards get pretty good scores with dual though!?

ashkon52

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2005
Guys I cant find the Thermaltake PSU in Australia.

Ill have to settle for something else...
how about the Corsair HX-620 620W ATX Power Supply

I dont really know much about modular psu's but I hear some people say they are not great in long term durabilty?

I was also thinking the OCZ GameXStream 700W
but I cant get it because Im going to claim this computer for business and that is a dead give away! :)

brick88

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
the corsair is a fine power supply. the only reason i had not recomended it was because it is a little expensive but thats a fine choice. i havent really heard anything bad about modulars being not great at durability but if you feel that way.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153034

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817371001

either is a good choice. i personally use a true power for my rig.

p.s. careful with ur xfi extreme gamer. that also might be a giveaway.

ashkon52

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2005
You're right... the sound cards a dead give away too.. I was going to buy that separately.
Ive been doing some research and there is news that the extremeAudio is not a true xfi card. Meanwhile Im still unsure as to whether the extremegamers is also true.

In terms of motherboards I have settled for the Asus P5B Deluxe... however this one in Australia is very expensive ($300 US) and it comes with wifi which I dont need. Is there a non Wifi one?

I saw a standard for Asus P5b board (non deluxe) that was half the price. Do you guys know the difference between deluxe and non deluxe. Is it significant....Considering I am bringing my own video and sound card? I couldnt differentiate the two in the products detail.

Im almost there!!!
(You Newegg Americans are so lucky... My computer in Australia will cost almost twice the price... and thats in US dollars too)

brick88

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
i think the asus p5b doesnt overclock nearly as well as the deluxe version. i dont think there is any other difference besides that. but im not too sure if thats the only difference. for ur needs of having a reliable mobo it should be fine as they make quality products.

TRENDING THREADS