Help me find a mate for my ST8000VN0002 for RAID 0

jbwheels

Commendable
Mar 3, 2017
I purchased a ST8000VN0002 not long ago for what I thought was a good price. Well, it's just too slow for my needs. I thought I'd buy another for RAID 0, but it turns out that they're discontinued and any available sell for silly prices.

There must be another drive I can mate with it for an efficient RAID setup. From what I've seen, it appears that many drives from the same manufacturer will have the same hardware with different firmware or, I believe, the same drive with different branding, warranties, and/or different tolerances in testing (different binning).

Please help my find a mate for this drive before I give up on it entirely. Thank you!

mundial

Reputable
Dec 31, 2017
It depends how important your data is.

Would I be comfortable putting data in a RAID array with different brand disks - probably not.

If the data is non-important just get any 8TB NAS disk.

While it's recommended to have drives as similar as possible, it's not absolutely mandatory. You can mix-and-match drives, the thing you just want to keep in mind of here is that with RAID in general, whichever of your drives in the array has a lesser feature in comparison to the other drives, will be what holds the rest back. If you run 2 drives, one which is 7200 RPM and one which is 5400 RPM, the array can only run as fast as the lesser spec'ed drive. Works the same with other specs, not just RPM. Think of it as a potato sack race, the tandem can only run/hop as fast as the slowest/least capable individual member of the team. So it can be done, it's just about protecting your investment.

Your drive is pretty comparable spec wise to the newer IronWolf 8TB (model ST8000VN0022) if you'd like to give that a look.

jbwheels

Commendable
Mar 3, 2017

I was wondering about that. Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS