Help me find a Power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pongul99

Prominent
Jul 12, 2017
hi all.
Have been looking for a 650w power supply and realized that there were more then one 650w PSU.
The thing I know with PSU is that it should be marked with 80+ but there are so many to choose between from. And the prices vary pretty much for the same kind of PSU, the only thing is that they are different kind of brand. So please help me out here and tell me which PSU i should get.
It should be again, a 650w 80+. But which brand?

Thank in advance!!

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Please post your full system spec. 650W seems excessive for most users (especially with a single GPU).

"Brand" is not the most important, but quality of the components from the OEM.
"brands" use different OEMs for differing product lines.

For a (very brief) overview
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

If you truly do need a 650W (or greater) PSU, this is a great deal today:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: Rosewill - Capstone 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $54.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-28 18:28 EDT-0400

As I mentioned though, 450W is usually more than enough for most users. In which case, this would be a great deal

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $39.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-28 18:29 EDT-0400

You'll notice in the Tier list I linked, the CX models are not the best. This is actually the 2017 revision (which the list hasn't been updated to reflect) and is much better quality.

4745454b

Titan
I agree with Barty. 650W is becoming the PSU to use on a CF/SLI system. A ~100W CPU with your midrange ~150W 1060 or RX570 will draw under 300W. This is 60% of a 500W PSU. I run a 3770K and an R9 280 on a 450W PSU. I would pay more attention to the internals of the PSU than making sure its 650W.

Pongul99

Prominent
Jul 12, 2017
Im about to order all those part in a couple of weeks. I have a budget to stick to so cant go fully crazy. Im willingly to spend around 1100-1150$. I will aswell include some fans and a wireless wifi adapter and just that will go around 100$.

4745454b

Titan
Sigh. "Future proof". "Upgrades for later". I laughed a bit when I saw the CPU and the 1060. I already mentioned this build won't go over 300W. This means when you put the biggest load on it, you won't even load the PSU up to 50% of what it's capable of. This makes buying a 650W PSU pretty much an overkill waste.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817151119

Here is a good 550W for $57 after shipping and rebate. The 650W version which you don't need is $88. Not worth the extra $30.

TrAAst

Respectable
Dec 15, 2016
I'm obviously talking about something like $10 more for the same model. You can't compare 550W vs 650W if you take all models into consideration. If the 650W is 50% more expensive than the 550W, it's an easy decision isn't it.

4745454b

Titan
The point I was trying to make is; 1) 650W in general are going to be more expensive. 2) You won't even load it up to 50%, so the efficiency (in general) won't be as good as a 500-550. So many people are out there running 650-750W PSUs when they don't need to. Because you know, upgrades and "stuff". I don't care if I saw a good deal on a 750W PSU. My PC uses ~325W under load, so it makes no sense to get one that large. And if I upgraded off of my R9 280 to the 1060, my power needs go down, not up. Even though I upgraded my GPU.

TrAAst

Respectable
Dec 15, 2016
And my point is, if the 650W is slightly more expensive I wouldn't have a 2nd thought about it. And efficiency is generally the highest at 50% load. Thing with 650W is, you're covered on the official requirements for single GPUs for the lifetime of the PSU (most likey).

4745454b

Titan
And efficiency is generally the highest at 50% load.

And as I said earlier, you won't even load it to 50%. A sub 300W build won't even load a 650W PSU to 50%.

You/we are hijacking this poor guys thread. You've stated you case, that a 650W PSU is a good idea. I've disagreed. Lets not crap all over this thread. We've said our peace, lets move on now ok?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I run a i7-3770k @4.9GHz, an Asus Strix Gtx970 with 124% user OC, hdd, ssd, 2x optical, Nzxt Kraken 280mm aio on a Evga G2 550w and it doesn't even blink at 100% system loads, the fan never gets fast and heat output is nothing compared to what the gpu will put out under stress loads.

Here's the thing about psus, they need to match the application. The G2 I own is a quality gaming psu. It's internals are built to withstand the abusive demands a higher powered gpu can demand, instantly. There's many psus on the market that are decent, but not built for gaming purposes, so you end up with very good office/small business/general use psus that'll last for years normally, but subjected to gaming stresses can last months, if not days or less.

80+ isn't a standard. It's a voluntary certification. Simply meaning that if you see 80+ Gold or Bronze on a unit, it's at least decent for office use. The vendor gave the psu to 80+ for efficiency testing and it passed. If there's no 80+ rating, then very likely the vendor has absolutely no faith in its psu, or knows very well that its claims of wattage/voltage/amperage outputs are serious fabrications or out right lies. That said, to get 80+ Gold, the internal components and circuitry, even the platform itself is usually much better designed and built than a plain 80+ psu.

Does size matter? Hah. Yes it does. The psu is the heart of the pc. It needs only to be strong enough to power the pc, and thats it. If you have a pc with max loads of just 300w, then that's all you need is a 300w rated psu. Need. What happens then is the psu is constantly at max, temps are high and you'll have to listen to the fan constantly screaming. The difference roughly between 50% loads and 100% loads is @2%-5% efficiency, really no big deal. The difference to the psu itself is huge. At @50% you hit the sweet spot, not only in efficiency, but also in power distribution and thermals. 50% loads run well into the acceptable bell curve of everything related, you've got power to spare, overhead, and nothing gets excessively hot or runs underpowered.

For your system, a good quality 520-550w will easily cover anything and most normally is far cheaper than its larger 620-650 brethren. CXM 550W, Seasonic M12-II 520w, Evga G2/G3 550w, Antec HCG 520w, XFX TS/Pro 550w and a few others will be perfect for your needs, wants and potential changes. Can you run a gtx1060 on 450w? Absolutely yes you can, but not with my OC demands, I prefer a little more headroom at that wattage output. But for a middling 4.3 - 4.5GHz OC and gpu at stock settings, 450w is plenty good enough. Which puts 550w at the most you'd ever have any use for. 650w will work just fine, have no power delivery issues of any sort, you'll just be spending money on something that has no chance of ever being used. Kinda like buying a Ferrari just to go to the store 3 blocks away and you live right next door to the police station. Nice, shiny, wasted toy.

Status
Not open for further replies.