[SOLVED] Help Me Find a Slim Case Fan. My New Video Card is too big and I can't return it.

NewRigTime

Honorable
Mar 28, 2017
I have a very old design Silverstone FT-02 case and recently installed an RX 6800 XT Video Card that I now can't return (bought on Newegg). I still prefer this case due to the superior air cooling design. Unfortunately I had to remove one of the fans at the bottom to get it to fit inside the case. I should be able to fit a Silverstone SST-FW181 or SST-FM182 case fan there if I can find any for sale. Does anyone know where I might be able to order one of these Ultra Slim design fans?

If not, do you have any other manufacturer suggestions? It will need to be 180 mm size for a drop-in replacement, and 18 mm height is ideal, the current 32 mm fan is too tall. If none exist on the market, I wonder if there is a way to adapt my case to fit a smaller 120 mm ultra slim fan, since I have found some of those on the market. Note that I don't want to lose the dust filter at the bottom, I would consider that mandatory for this pc case to work.

Here are some pictures of the installed video card inside my case:

https://ibb.co/1dfkNNc

https://ibb.co/mCCg0Lq

Lutfij

Titan
First point, I'm pretty sure that the fans you're looking at or even the ones that need to be specific for your predicament, are all EoL(End of Life). Second, you should've measured before getting that GPU as the key selling points of the FT series is the way air is drawn from the bottom and exited out the top. This chimney design was in fact patented by Silverstone which is why you don't see vertical/top mounted I/O for the GPU's in cases designs(not for the cases that go for retail off the shelf, ask me how I know?). Third, you have one of three possible solutions, IMHO,;
1| make do with a slim 120mm fan by Scythe.
2| leave things as is and bear with the temps on your GPU.
3| swap the case out to something that allows for the GPU to be fed with fresh, cooler, ambient air.

NewRigTime

Honorable
Mar 28, 2017
First point, I'm pretty sure that the fans you're looking at or even the ones that need to be specific for your predicament, are all EoL(End of Life). Second, you should've measured before getting that GPU as the key selling points of the FT series is the way air is drawn from the bottom and exited out the top. This chimney design was in fact patented by Silverstone which is why you don't see vertical/top mounted I/O for the GPU's in cases designs(not for the cases that go for retail off the shelf, ask me how I know?). Third, you have one of three possible solutions, IMHO,;
1| make do with a slim 120mm fan by Scythe.
2| leave things as is and bear with the temps on your GPU.
3| swap the case out to something that allows for the GPU to be fed with fresh, cooler, ambient air.

Thanks for taking the time to reply with lots of words... Well obviously I am not going to leave things the way they are long term, and I am not going to change the case. After all, I did say how much I liked the FT-02 case in my original post. I also knew what I was getting into when I bought the case, but thanks for explaining all that again for me like I had no idea. Oh and thanks for the "you screwed up" part too. It's really not that that easy for people who are not so well versed in computers to figure these things out. I did build this computer myself but am by no means an expert. I used pcpartpicker.com to initially make sure no errors popped up, and then I did in fact measure the case and compare it to what it said for the GPU online. Unfortunately maybe I measured wrong or my tape measure was not accurate enough because obviously you can see it was close but just 10 or so millimeters too long. My biggest mistake was actually buying from Newegg with the trash return policy they have, that's what you should be scolding me for.

NewRigTime

Honorable
Mar 28, 2017

Thank you, I was actually looking at this exact fan previously since it has better static pressure and airflow than most other 140 mm fans I could find. I will probably buy this one as a temporary replacement with a 180 mm to 140 mm mounting hole conversion kit if there are really no 180 mm SFF computer case fans out there (which still seems silly to me, what happened to them all??)