help me find my disapeared word document

kbader56

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Okay, so I am writing a paper. Late, Wednesday the 20th, I did an upgrade on my computer. When it finished, all my documents were in the "c drive" under the my user. All my old files were there. Now, I have been working on multiple documents since then. I worked on my paper, in addition to other documents on Thursday night, Friday morning and Friday night. Tonight I went to work on my documents and my actual research paper document was no where to be found. My other files were there though. But, where it says the last time the file was edited on my documents was wrong. It said I last worked on then Thursday, when I clearly worked on them twice on Friday. I tried looking up previous versions, and they were know where to be found. I googled how to find lost files, and it said to search under all files and my file would have the words "backup of" preceding the title. And still no luck. I don't really feel comfortable with my new 2013 version yet, but I don't understand where my document went. I really need help finding this because I was planning on completing and turning the paper in tonight (it was going to be a day late for reduced credit), but now all y work is gone, and there is no way I am going to be able to finish it by midnight. And by the time I get out of work tomorrow, the tech people at my college are already gone. I really need some help please. BTW, I have a PC, and I do not remember what I named my file, when I try to find it I look up key words I know I had within the paper itself.

Colif

Win 11 Master
When you open word up, it normally shows the most recent files you have opened in a list on left which you can scroll through

Have you checked Onedrive? they might be on there.

I hope you find them, that reads like a nightmare to me as I am doing a course and losing stuff 1 day before it is due would be terrible.

I use a USB stick to save my course work, I know where it is then.

It's hard to help when you don't say what version of Windows you're using. With Windows 7 I can go to the folder I had the document(s) in with Windows Explorer and click the "Previous Versions" tab. That doesn't work with Windows 10 though.
I have to add that this is just one of the many, many reasons you need to make backups often.

Good luck.