Help me find the right Power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghostcoon

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012
Can someone advise me on a power supply that would replace the one that came in my old Acer AM1100-U1402A computer? I am adding a graphics card (Saphire Radeon 5450) for the HDMI plug only (not gaming) that requires 400w and the power supply in my computer is only 250w. I bought a new 380w Antec Earthwatts but the wires and plugs don't match up with what I have. Please give me some suggestions or what I need to look for. Below are the spec of my computer:

Acer Aspire M1100-u1402a - Athlon X2 4400+ 2.3 Mhz Specifications

GENERAL-Type: Personal computer
GENERAL-Product Form Factor: Micro tower
GENERAL-Width: 7.2 in
GENERAL-Depth: 17.9 in
GENERAL-Height: 14.6 in
GENERAL-Localization: United States
Processor-Type: AMD Athlon X2 4400+ / 2.3 MHz
Processor-Multi-Core processor technology: Dual-Core
Processor-64-bit processor: Yes
Processor-Installed Qty: 1
Processor-Max processors supported: 1
Cache Memory-Type: L2 cache
Cache Memory-Installed Size: 1 MB
Cache Memory-Cache Per Processor: 1 MB
Mainboard-Chipset type: AMD 690G
RAM-Installed Size: 2 GB / 8 GB (max)
RAM-Technology: DDR2 SDRAM
RAM-Memory speed: 667 MHz
RAM-RAM form factor: DIMM 240-pin
RAM-RAM configuration features: 2 x 1 GB
Storage Controller-Type: 1 x Serial ATA - Integrated
Storage-Floppy drive type: None
Storage-Hard Drive: 1 x 320 GB - Standard - Serial ATA-150 - 7200 rpm
Storage-Hard Drive (2nd): None
Storage-Hard Drive (3rd): None
Optical Storage-Type: DVD?RW / DVD-RAM
Optical Storage (2nd)-Type: None
Storage Removable-Type: None
Monitor-Monitor Type: None.
Multimedia Functionality-TV tuner type: None
Graphics Controller-Type: Integrated
Graphics Controller-Graphics Processor / Vendor: ATI Radeon X1200
Audio Output-Type: Sound card - Integrated
Audio Output-Sound output mode: 7.1 channel surround
Audio Output-Audio output compliant standards: High Definition Audio
Audio Output-Speaker(s): 2 x Right / left channel
Input Device-Type: Mouse , Keyboard
Keyboard-Keyboard interface: PS/2
Mouse-Mouse interface: PS/2
Audio Input-Type: None
Telecom-Modem: Fax / modem
Telecom-Max transfer rate: 56 Kbps
Telecom-Protocols & Specifications: ITU V.92
NETWORKING-Networking: Network adapter - Integrated
Networking-Data link protocol: Ethernet , Fast Ethernet , Gigabit Ethernet
Printer-Type: None
Expansion / Connectivity-Expansion Bays Total (Free): 2 ( 1 ) x Front accessible - 5.25" x 1/2H , 2 ( 1 ) x Front accessible - 3.5" x 1/3H , 4 ( 3 ) x Internal - 3.5" x 1/3H
Expansion / Connectivity-Expansion Slots Total (Free): 1 ( 0 ) x Processor , 4 ( 2 ) x Memory - DIMM 240-pin , 2 ( 2 ) x PCI , 1 ( 1 ) x PCI Express x1 , 1 ( 1 ) x PCI Express x16
Expansion / Connectivity-Interfaces: 8 x Hi-Speed USB - 4 pin USB Type A ( 4 in front ) , 1 x Microphone - Input - Mini-phone 3.5 mm , 1 x Headphones - Output - Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm , 6 x Audio , 1 x IEEE 1394 (FireWire) , 1 x Mouse - Generic - 6 pin mini-DIN (PS/2 style) , 1 x Keyboard
Power-Power device type: Power supply (Liteon)
Power-Power provided: 250 Watt
Operating System / Software-OS Provided: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
Operating System / Software-Software: Acer Arcade Live , AntiVirus software , Microsoft Works 8.5 , Adobe Acrobat Reader , NTI CD-Maker Gold (OEM) , Acer Empowering Technology , Microsoft Office 2007 Home and Student Edition (60 days trial)
Manufacturer Warranty-Service & Support: 1 year warranty
Manufacturer Warranty-Service & Support Details: Limited warranty - 1 year
Card Reader-Card reader: 9 in 1 card reader
Card Reader-Supported flash memory cards: Microdrive , Memory Stick , SD Memory Card , SmartMedia Card , xD-Picture Card , Memory Stick Pro , CompactFlash Card type I , CompactFlash Card type II
GREENPEACE 'GUIDE TO GREENER ELECTRONICS'-Greenpeace 'Guide to Greener Electronics' manufacturer rating (Nov 2008):
SUSTAINABILITY-Greenpeace policy rating (Mar 2009): 4.5

Thanks for any advice or help!!!

Solution
All ATX PSUs have the same power connectors. If your motherboard uses a 4 pin CPU power connector, then use only half of the 8 pin connector (they can be separated). I presume your motherboard uses a 24 pin power cable?

Ghostcoon

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012

The plugs on the Antec don't match what is on the power supply that came with the Acer particularly the small plug that plugs into the middle of the mobo.

Ghostcoon

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012

I have no problem with buying more wattage than required, I just want to make sure the one I buy will work with what I currently have and without a lot of modifying and has the right plugs on the cable coming out of the box. How do I know what to look for?

Ghostcoon

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012

Thanks!!! I've never replaced the power supply, only added drives, etc. and plugged them in with existing plugs, so I'm green at this and these Antec plugs appeared somewhat different than what my Acer has.

Ghostcoon

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012
Upon closer inspection, I don't think the small plugs and wires that I was concerned about are part of the wiring out of the psu. I think they run from the fans to the mobo. Whoever put it together used ties and tied them to the wires coming out of the psu and they are the same colors as the psu wires. As I said, I'm a greenhorn. Recognizing that a 380w power supply is less than the 400w on the graphics board specs. Do you think it will work temporarily if all I am using the graphis card for is to run an HDMI wire from my computer to my TV or should I wait and get a 550w psu?

Status
Not open for further replies.