Help me fix my broken 2 router/powerline setup

tetsuhana

Reputable
May 16, 2015
While trying to setup torguard VPN on my network I lost internet access on my second router. I have the main router in my bedroom with a powerline, second router in another room with powerline to send internet to my basement. Something I did while trying to set up the vpn caused the second router to not have internet access. I've reset both and tried re-setting things up. I disable DHCP, UPNP, NAT, give it the same wpa2 password but nothing works. The signal shows up strong, but there is no internet access. Whenever I change router 2s IP to 192.168.1.2 I can't access it through a browser at all and have to reset the router again. What am i doing wrong?

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

Did you verify Internet access at the power line adapter?

Configuring the second router as an AP is relatively straightforward. Just reset it and follow the instructions in the wireless forum sticky. Remember that to access the router settings after the IP address change, you need to use the new address to access the GUI.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/36406-43-convert-wireless-router-wireless-access-point

tetsuhana

Reputable
May 16, 2015
I'm not sure how to verify at the powerline. The sticky seems to be for a setup where both routers are connected, my setup is
Router 1>powerline>router 2>powerline. Following the instructions it worked while the routers were connected, but when I unplug router 2 I get nothing, not through the ethernet cable or wifi, it cant identify the network.
Router 1 is a linksys e2500 and 2 is an e1200