Help me, I ruin my HDD by change from AHCI to IDE!

GTHell

Reputable
Oct 1, 2014
So let me explain the problem:
-I want to install Hackintosh on my laptop so I setup the USB boot and then boot into mac installation and erase drive C: (100gb) to install mac. Mac require GPT partition which mean require to erase the whole HDD.
-Since my Windows is gone, I try to quick setup windows XP to backup the important file.
-Windows XP keep giving me Blue screen and some people on internet suggest to change from AHCI to IDE. It work but when I'm in the Choose partition to install, unfortunately there's only one partition (500gb) that label as uninitialized or unknown or unsupported as show on Mac installation.

Please help me out because I have a really important file that can't be delete. :??:

I'm really worried right now and now I'm downloading Ubuntu to see if I can access those partition.

Solution
Boot in linux and check your hdd.If its not even initialized you will need to take it out , connect it in another pc and do a partition recovery with "active partition recovery" or a similar software.I also believe that active partition recovery can boot from usb/cd so you won't need a second pc.

octavecode

Distinguished
You made a huge mess...In order to get a better idea of what's going on with your hdd you need boot with a live linux usb like for example "Ubuntu".After that you can use a file manager to backup your files and Gparted to check your drive.

GTHell

Reputable
Oct 1, 2014
Thank for reply me.

The Ubuntu is downloading but I'm really afraid that GParted will ask to format my partition because it's uninitialized. Have you experience Uninitialized or unknown drive before? if so can you share me your experience?

Why am I worried so much? -The 100gb partition is MAC type partition while the other 400gb is NTFS that store a lot of important file. And now it's show only 1 partition in both Mac installation and Windows XP installation.

octavecode

Distinguished
Boot in linux and check your hdd.If its not even initialized you will need to take it out , connect it in another pc and do a partition recovery with "active partition recovery" or a similar software.I also believe that active partition recovery can boot from usb/cd so you won't need a second pc.

Solution