[SOLVED] Help me identify this sound

Jul 16, 2021
My PC makes weird sound. Please help me guess what may be the problem.

Setup:
mobo: Asus ROG Strix X570-I GAMING
processor: AMD RYZEN 7 5800X
processor cooling: NZXT Kraken X53
ram: G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3600MHz CL16 Trident Z
gpu: Nvidia RTX 3080 Founders Edition
psu: Corsair SF750
case: NZXT H210i with included Smart Device V2
storage: M.2 SSD, 2x HDD

I tried:
  1. using different gpu
  2. unplugging HDDs
  3. unplugging Smart Device V2
  4. turning off the fans
  5. turning the aio pump to slowest speed

Sound:
Its like 1 tone, kinda loud and very anoying. At the start of the recording i started like 50cm from pc and slowly moved towards it in the recording.

One recording with the fans running:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vhF6SJ4BldKd_ItwpBq4OWqb9W-pLn_I/view
Another one without the fans running:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i7rsoqkrAHGrRH0MNnxnwW5cg6p_9E0y/view

Thanks for any help.

Solution
No you don't want to remove the fan. Its getting heat soaked from your rtx 3080 being so close to it. Perhaps if you could rig up another fan to blow on to the heatsink area itself.
I heard the sounds, and I couldn't recognise anything that stands out, well exept in your second recording there is some faint drum sounds - you have a neighbor playing music or that kind of vacuum cleaners for garage use ?

Its like 1 tone, kinda loud and very anoying. At the start of the recording i started like 50cm from pc and slowly moved towards it in the recording.
Well, that isn't helpful in order to identify unwanted noise unfortunately. You need to have the case open, then move the mic as close as possible to each component without touching, and you need to INFORM somehow where the mic are located, either by voice or elaborate text.

Jul 16, 2021
You need to have the case open, then move the mic as close as possible to each component.
Thanks to this, i found out the location of the sound, and it turned out to be motherboard active chipset heatsink.

t3bE5Jm.png

In my PC its right next to the GPU as seen here, and therefore it gets probably really hot in there:

MERIptX.jpg

And it pushes the air through these holes in IO shield and that creates the sound. I dont know if cutting a bigger hole the would help, but i tried to cover it and that stopped the sound coming from that part of the case.
Then you can hear it from inside also. So i dont know what is the best solution here

aT3ruvf.jpg

Reactions: Fix_that_Glitch
Jul 16, 2021
Any ideas what to do with it? I was thinking about 3D printing some custom muffler for the back exhaust but that would not solve the sound coming from the other side... Best would be just to remove the fan