fueledbyramen123

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
So I have purchased two Seagate HDD's in the last year and I'm not happy with either. The first was the 7200.10 (250GB - 32MB Cache) and more recently I bought the ES.2 (250GB - 32MB Cache) and they are both slow when accessing programs/files and surprisingly loud.

I'm willing to give Seagate another try if you guys think the 7200.11 is a good buy. I would have bought the 7200.11 from the get go but they were a good deal more expensive several months ago so I went with the .10 instead.

I'm debating between a Seagate or WD. I keep hearing great things about WD's SE16 series and the newer Black series.

Here's the Seagate I'm looking at:
Link

and couple WD drives:
Link

Link

From what I'm understanding now from reading a bit more, it seems that Seagate drives are super fast while transfering files but WD has better access times while using programs, opening folders, etc. Is this a fairly accurate statement? I can say for sure that when I transfer all of my files from one Seagate drive to another that it really is fast...but overall performance is lacking.

So, any thoughts? Oh, these are all SATA 3G/s by the way. In case someone was about to ask. I just don't want to regret another hard drive purchase and I'm tired of trying new ones and having to re-do my PC everytime only to be disappointed.

Thanks in advance!

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Dear 8pound 6ounce baby jebus we gather here today to ask people which hard drive this young man should get, so we ask for help in everyone who read this threat to guide their hand over that submit button and post their opinion.

Oh and my recomendation goe's to a 640gb WD hard drive, either the blue or black edition. Personally I own the cavier black, but there's not much of a difference.

Man I need to look into getting spell check for firefox all I see are red lines meaning mispelled words when I type, and it's takes me longer to spell check than to post (and this post has been spellcheck somewhat, I gave up halfway)

fueledbyramen123

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
Ha...yeah...where was baby Jebus when I was buying these drives? lol

Thanks for the reply. It really seems like the 640GB SE16 is the way to go as it's being recommended left and right.