[SOLVED] Help me make my r3600 build (parameters apply)

Hello fellow persons!

I want to make the jump to ryzen 3600, I would appriciate some advice from you :)

I already have some parts from my current build (see list below)

Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB
Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB
Cooler Master Silencio 452 ATX Mid Tower Case
Cooler Master MWE Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/K2b4dm

So basically I am looking at buying a mobo/cpu and ram

The budget:

450 euro or 500$

Preferences:

I am not looking for the cheapest parts, only to get the most oompf for my budget
I would like to OC the cpu in the future
I don't care for rgb or any kind of visual pimping, the case does not have a window anyway
I would like to have 16 gb of ram

The cpu will probably be replaced with a more powerful one down the line (couple of years)
And also more ram will probably be added later too (so 4 ramslots)

I come from Western europe, and I have access to the american market (I have a friend there who is there untill early january)
I am not in a hurry to make the upgrade, so if you guys say waiting till date x is better, I'll consider it

The pc will be used for gaming

Solution
You can do better with a more powerful CPU and tighter RAM for even better performance...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor | $234.74 @ Amazon
Motherboard | MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard | $189.99 @ B&H
Memory | G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory | $69.99 @ Newegg
Storage | Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive | Purchased For $0.00
Video Card | Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB Video Card | Purchased For $0.00
Case | Cooler Master Silencio 452 ATX Mid Tower Case | Purchased For $0.00
Power Supply | Cooler Master MWE...

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
for your consideration
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($194.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($148.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper X 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB Video Card ($0.00)
Case: Cooler Master Silencio 452 ATX Mid Tower Case ($0.00)
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($0.00)
Total: $492.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-25 07:19 EST-0500

Ryzen 3600
X570 board (PCIe4.0)
loads o RAM no RGB (bless you)

Reactions: Rdslw
You can do better with a more powerful CPU and tighter RAM for even better performance...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor | $234.74 @ Amazon
Motherboard | MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard | $189.99 @ B&H
Memory | G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory | $69.99 @ Newegg
Storage | Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive | Purchased For $0.00
Video Card | Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB Video Card | Purchased For $0.00
Case | Cooler Master Silencio 452 ATX Mid Tower Case | Purchased For $0.00
Power Supply | Cooler Master MWE Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | Purchased For $0.00
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $504.72
| Mail-in rebates | -$10.00
| Total | $494.72
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-25 07:34 EST-0500 |

Solution
Hi I will leave my list here:

You could save some money here by going with the Deep Cool Gammaxx GTE air tower cooler, it will do a bit more noise, but its good enough for Ryzen 5 3600 even with PBO enable (advice: on my Gigabyte mobo, with lastet AGESA 1.0.0.4B Bios, I get better scores and higher boost frecuency with PBO disable, no idea why :) )

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($194.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($63.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $477.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-25 08:50 EST-0500

Cheers

Ryzen OC capability is limited. For running stock clocks and even some mild OC, the stock cooler is pretty sufficient. You should only consider aft cooler if you really wanna push the clocks hard, for which you will need a high quality relatively expensive unit like the NOCTUA D15.

Ryzen OC capability is limited. For running stock clocks and even some mild OC, the stock cooler is pretty sufficient. You should only consider aft cooler if you really wanna push the clocks hard, for which you will need a high quality relatively expensive unit like the NOCTUA D15.
I'm on a 3900x with a Dark Rock 4 Pro, (250w cooler). Doesn't get hot, but won't OC, not that I need it, I went big cooler based on the 3950 needing a big cooler, and for the fact that I can run the fans at 300rpm, and the case fans can be off except under load.

Reactions: Hellfire13
Hi guys, thanks a bundle for the answers so far :)

So as I understand:

Oc'ing is not really relevant with ryzen - so an aftermarket cooler is not really needed
I have been looking into r5 3600 vs r5 3600x, most people seem to say that it's not really worth it
(is this correct??)

I like the fast ram that has been suggested by hellfire
G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory

Everyone suggests a 570 mobo too, so i'll go with that

More suggestions are very welcome

Well I added an aftermarket cooler for a reason. Yes the stock cooler is sufficient for the Ryzen 5 3600 and 3600X but both stock coolers are pretty loud. If you wana get the best performance out of PB and/orPBO then you may wana re-think the not buying aftermarket cooler.

I tested this in my own PC, with the side panel off to avoid "lack of air", and without any doubt, the aftermark cooler I use gives me better result than the stock one, and is way more quiet on idle and light load operations (to the point that I can't hear it), where the stock one is really nasty high pitch noise.

Yes I know there is a workaround for the stock cooler, which is basically to raise the fan curve so it runs faster to avoid the speed rampage at idle and light loads. This work around does not helps when you have the PC over the desktop and near to your ears and it doesn't fix the noise at 100% speed. If the PC is down the desk next to your feets then it probably works.

Anyways, stock fans are good, but an aftermarket cooler, at least for the 3600 is really great. As an example with stock cooler I was not able to get more than ~3588 pts in Cinebench R20, with the aftermarket one I get 3705, all core frecuency is about 75MHz more and theres a -13°C delta diference in favor of the aftermarket one. All of that with a much pleasant noise. So all in all, try the stock one if you want, but keep in mind there are way better solutions out there for really cheap.
------------------------------------
As for the X570 chipset motherboard keep in mind that most affordable MSI ones have really horrible VRM. Of course one will said for a Ryzen 3600 any VRM will work, yeah, but .... What happend in 3 or 4 years when you wana step up to somehting like a Ryzen 9 3900X or 4900X without changin your mobo?. Having a good VRM from start is a really good advice.

Steve from Hardware Unboxed did a great job testing many mobos in diferent price segments, heres the short version:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMRUhtMs9Ok

Reactions: Quanticriver
Well I added an aftermarket cooler for a reason. Yes the stock cooler is sufficient for the Ryzen 5 3600 and 3600X but both stock coolers are pretty loud. If you wana get the best performance out of PB and/orPBO then you may wana re-think the not buying aftermarket cooler.

I tested this in my own PC, with the side panel off to avoid "lack of air", and without any doubt, the aftermark cooler I use gives me better result than the stock one, and is way more quiet on idle and light load operations (to the point that I can't hear it), where the stock one is really nasty high pitch noise.

Yes I know there is a workaround for the stock cooler, which is basically to raise the fan curve so it runs faster to avoid the speed rampage at idle and light loads. This work around does not helps when you have the PC over the desktop and near to your ears and it doesn't fix the noise at 100% speed. If the PC is down the desk next to your feets then it probably works.

Anyways, stock fans are good, but an aftermarket cooler, at least for the 3600 is really great. As an example with stock cooler I was not able to get more than ~3588 pts in Cinebench R20, with the aftermarket one I get 3705, all core frecuency is about 75MHz more and theres a -13°C delta diference in favor of the aftermarket one. All of that with a much pleasant noise. So all in all, try the stock one if you want, but keep in mind there are way better solutions out there for really cheap.
------------------------------------
As for the X570 chipset motherboard keep in mind that most affordable MSI ones have really horrible VRM. Of course one will said for a Ryzen 3600 any VRM will work, yeah, but .... What happend in 3 or 4 years when you wana step up to somehting like a Ryzen 9 3900X or 4900X without changin your mobo?. Having a good VRM from start is a really good advice.

Steve from Hardware Unboxed did a great job testing many mobos in diferent price segments, heres the short version:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMRUhtMs9Ok
Thats all good and true when you have a bigger budget to play with. At that budget, the $40 wasted can go towards a better part.

Well thats why its included on my price list, and inside the budget OP mention. I also said there are cheaper options like Gammaxx GTE, or now that I think about it even the Gammaxx 400 which is less than 20 bucks.
OEM HSFs have only ever about let the CPU run within its non-turbo limits. AMD ones generally go beyond that. The 3xxx series has a much higher heat tolerance then previous Ryzens with its 7nm die shrink. It makes sense that as tolerances rises they would need less cooling for same functionality. So, an aft cooler wont give any earth shattering performance over the Spire, specially the low footprint ones.

OEM HSFs have only ever about let the CPU run within its non-turbo limits. AMD ones generally go beyond that. The 3xxx series has a much higher heat tolerance then previous Ryzens with its 7nm die shrink. It makes sense that as tolerances rises they would need less cooling for same functionality. So, an aft cooler wont give any earth shattering performance over the Spire, specially the low footprint ones.

OK, let me ask you a question, do you own any Ryzen 3xxx zen2 7nm node model ?

I do, thats why I wrote what I wrote, and Im not the only one that thinks that way. If the OP wants to save some money by keeping the stock cooler thats good or wana spend the money on somehitng else thats also good.
I can't suggest anyone buying the Ryzen 5 3600 CPU to keep the stock cooler if he/she wants to get the most out of it. Even a really cheap aftermarket cooler like the Snowman or the Gammaxx 400 will be night and day compared to that stock cooler. And if its only for peace of mind/silence I still think its worth it.

Its a suggestion, you have yours, I have mine.

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: 13thmonkey