Question Help me. my hdd change to MBR by itself and ruin my pc

god_of_weapon

Prominent
Sep 8, 2017
It start like this. My pc is healthy and work fine. and I just use DDU to clean GPU driver.

And after it restart it got 'inaccesible boot device' bsod error. and so I tried to fix but I found it strange, I can't use system restore, I can't run safe mode and can't repair window with window boot flashdrive.

So at my wit's end. I chose nuclear option 'reinstall window' but..... install menu said that I cant,. bcos my hdd is MBR. and only can install on GPT.

And I'm like 'WTH?'. I've been reinstall window on this hdd many times with no problem.

So, help me come with strategy to solve this with NO DATA LOSS. I know how to convert MBR to GPT with commandprompt but to hell with this option.

Here is the sit-rep
-my pc is out if action. I already format system.
-all my hdds change to MBR. no where to avoid.
-so I can't use any kind of convert tool on window to convert it without dataloss.

what I have at disposal
-a window flashdrive
-a labtop

plan that I come up - if can plug my hdds to another system, like my laptop(via sata to USB adaptor). can i change MBR to GPT on that system? like, by disk manager. can it be done? With no data loss?

or us there a way to install window10 to mbr? If anyone have other idea I'm all ears. I need help pls.

Last edited:

Moribund

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014
Which laptop model is it, and what year is the BIOS version you have on it? (Just wondering if BIOS update will add these options). Now. Seeing how you're out of options, the only thing left is to plug your hard drive via USB to another laptop and use the Third Party software (Disk Genius etc.) It should be able to do this without disrupting existing files. Read the page in my link (above), and you can download the software there as well.

Then there's the CMD method, and yes, it will erase your data, but would it not make more sense to simply pull the data from the drive onto another computer you're using, with a USB to SATA adapter you have, prior to running CMD on it?