[SOLVED] Help me on repairing my mouse cable

testsubject2575

Reputable
Dec 26, 2019
I just noticed that my mouse that is over 10 years old had its cables inside bent, so I cut it off and found that it is actually ripped that's why the connection is loose.

Now I want to reconnect the cables, but I don't have a soldering iron. Also, I can't go outside because of the virus outbreak. I do have an electrical tape. Can I just twist the copper wires and cover it with an electrical tape or soldering is a must?

Solution
It may take some trial and error to get a splice that will last reasonably well/long.

Depends on the quality of the electrical tape and, to be honest, how well you did the wrapping.

Overall, if the splices do come apart, tape unravels, etc. just redo the splice again.

For the most part electrical tape is not a permanent repair when it comes to splices.

However, such splices can sometimes hang in there for a long time... :)

testsubject2575

Reputable
Dec 26, 2019
"Also, I can't go outside because of the virus outbreak"

Order a new mouse from Amazon ---- choose next day home delivery if it's urgent, normal delivery if not.

DIY mouse cable repair is not something I would attempt or even bother with.
Nah there is a lockdown in our country and I can't order overseas. Local stores are closed, even online shopping stores are closed. Nothing to buy except food and sanitizers :(.

I have a skill on repairing cables but I don't know if soldering is required at all. Every YouTube video I see requires a soldering iron.

testsubject2575

Reputable
Dec 26, 2019
I managed to make it work today, wires are connected, no soldering, no heat shrink tubing. The only thing that makes it not shorting out is the electrical tape. Will this thing last for long?

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
It may take some trial and error to get a splice that will last reasonably well/long.

Depends on the quality of the electrical tape and, to be honest, how well you did the wrapping.

Overall, if the splices do come apart, tape unravels, etc. just redo the splice again.

For the most part electrical tape is not a permanent repair when it comes to splices.

Solution

testsubject2575

Reputable
Dec 26, 2019

The twist is bad though, but at least it worked. It will never short out because the tape is so thick lol. Might check the connections later because I used a generic electrical tape. Thanks!