Help me pick a graphics card pleez

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

caldoll

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Hi guys,

I was hoping you guys could help me out in picking up a Graphics Card for not more than $50-60. I guess I wont need a millions frames per sec, but acceptable nos on average settings.

My current specs-

CPU- E 5300

Board- P5KPL-AM/PS

RAM- 2GB DDR2 667Mhz

HDD- 320GB WDC

PSU- 450 Watt.

Monitor- 18.5" LG 1366X768

Currently using Win7 32 Bit.

1 more question - I'm gonna increase my RAM to 4GB (3.5 odd will be utilized by 32 bit Windows, I've learnt).

Should I get 800 Mhz or 667? Will voltages matter? The gentleman who assembled my PC advised 800. Said it'd be OK with my system. I can't get a whole new set. So just a single stick will have to do.

Also, I'm a total Non-Gamer. So can you guys suggest some fps games you guys like that I can try?

Don't think I'll be liking rts too much :)

Their were more 4850's that sold for $100 and had $30 rebates but they took them off.This one i found is $50 and $36 after MIR(i haveno idea why it's so cheap).But it is currently sold out...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150482&Tpk=4850

List of all 4850's
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?
Submit=ENE&N=40000048&IsNodeId=1&Description=4850&name=Desktop%20Graphics%20%2f%20Video%20Cards

EDIT:They say the ETA for that $50 4850 is ETA: 01/18/2011...gonna be a while but worth the wait if u ask me

caldoll

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Hi guys, thanks for your replies.

After a bit of brainstorming for a couple of days, I've kinda decided to go with a 4000 series card in all probability. That's 'coz by all accounts, DX11 is probably not gonna make a huge difference in my case anyways.

Any ideas 'bout the last 4850 that purple stank linked me to? Why is it really so much cheaper than the rest, guys? What's the catch (if any)?

Also, my PSU has already started playing up a bit in the last few days.

The rear PSU fan gets stuck when I first switch on my PC and it makes a groaning noise. I have to switch off and then restart the machine for it to work normally.

Any ideas 'bout that guys?

That HD4850 deal is by far the cheapest I've ever seen it sold for and it predictably sold out within a few hours. I wouldn't count on either it being the same price when it is back in stock or catching it before it sells out again if it is.

caldoll

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Actually, it's the fan that gets stuck and doesn't rotate the first time I switch the PC on. Pretty sure that's where the noise comes from.

I have to switch off and then restart for it to work normally.

So what do you think it might be? Is it the fan or is it something else?

BTW, I didn't know that you could replace just the fan! :??:

Also, that particular 4850 doesn't even have to be $35 TBH. If I can get it for even the listed 55 without MIR that should do ok for me I think.

I was kinda ready to pay $67 (incl. shipping) for the 4830 anyways. The XFX 4850 is $55 (free shipping). So even if I don't get the MIR, I don't think it'll be a bad deal. What say you?

18 days is a bummer though :fou:

It would definitely be a great deal even without the MIR but there is no guarantee that the card will be the same price when it is back in stock. If it is expect it to sell out within hours just like the last time so you are going to have to be vigilant.

4850=5770

About the PSU it's probably the bearing on the fan or thirs dust in it.Clean it or buy a new one...

It's a little over 2½ weeks until that card comes back,if you decide to wait i would stay up the night before until midnight,that is when they might post it's availbity.Other wise i would just go with the 4830.

Completely up to u...

Even the HD5750 is faster than the HD4850. The HD5770 is on par with the HD4870.
I would really just go for the HD4830. The HD4850 is faster by about 10-15% but the waiting and risk involved doesn't seem worth it. Assuming the HD4830 will still be the same price and in stock as a backup plan weeks from now is also questionable.

caldoll

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Thanks a lot for that. I was getting a bit scared.

I'll definitely look at that 'cleaning' option first :)
Wow, I had heard of people lining up the streets for iphones or Super Bowl tickets, but this is just insane :ouch:

I'm not much of an online shopper (my pocket money only goes so far :( ) but I didn't know that things are that crazy out there. Within hours? I don't know whether I'll be able to grab it, but I'll probably give it a shot :)

Well with online deals they quickly make their way to sites such as http://slickdeals.net/ among dozens of others so many people are aware of it in a short period of time. Even at the initial price that card was priced so that it could be resold on Ebay at a profit and with the rebate on top of it I'm sure many people that didn't even need the card were buying one.
If you want to give waiting and hoping it is the same price when back in stock a try go ahead but like I said just don't count on the HD4830 being the same price or still in stock in a few weeks if the HD4850 doesn't work out.

EDIT: It is still out of stock but Newegg is now listing the card as $115 so there you go;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150482

caldoll

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Wow, so thanks jyjjy for the heads up :)

Didn't really have any idea 'bout how these things work.

That pricing just had to be too good to be true, I guess :cry: . Maybe they sold it for 55 by mistake or something!

So 4830 it is, if no one has any serious objections to it.

And thanks btw to all of guys who were so helpful all the way along. Honestly.

Take care boys and wish you all a very happy new year :D

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: