Help me pick an ultrawide monitor

jeffler383

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
I'm pretty sure I know which way I'm going to go on this, but I wanted to get some opinions nonetheless:

First my specs: i5 6600k, GTX 1080ti, 16gb ddr4ram. Rig is used exclusively for gaming, sometimes movies but my office isn't really set up for that.

Currently playing on a 27" 1440p monitor and I'm ready to move to ultrawide. My decision comes down to an ultrawide 1080p monitor @ 160hz, or an ultrawide 1440p @100hz, the 2 models up for decision are here:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6BM63P7359 (1440p)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824160304 (1080)

the pros/cons for how I see it:
1440p is obviously much higher pixel density on a large screen. I've gotten accustomed to seeing it on my existing monitor and while it's not immersion breaking for me, I can still tell a difference when I look at 1080p on another similar sized monitor
Cons: lower refresh rate (though how much the human eye is able to tell above 100hz is debatable)
$120 more expensive

1080p: $120 less expensive. super high refresh rate (though again, how much you'll be able to tell above 100hz is up for debate)
cons: low pixel density. this is more noticeable to some than others.

Final thoughts: I'd always thought I'd get a 1440p ultrawide when the time was right, and in the last 2 year since I purchased my 1080ti the cost has dropped considerably. HOWEVER - I'm almost done playing God of War on a base ps4, on a 65" plasma TV and the lower pixel density/low fps hasn't bothered me one bit when it comes to being blow away by that game, so it's made me reconsider, albeit a small amount, how much I value increased resolution.

(Final, final thoughts - I'm pretty sure I know I'm going to go with the 1440p version, but just in case there was an argument I might not be considering)

Thanks as always for input. Happy gaming

Solution
I was looking in to ultra wide monitors myself the only thing that's put me off is a lot of games don't support it you end up with less screen or stretching . same with video , guess it depends what games you play .

Darren35

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2015
I was looking in to ultra wide monitors myself the only thing that's put me off is a lot of games don't support it you end up with less screen or stretching . same with video , guess it depends what games you play .

Solution