[SOLVED] Help me pick my next build 10700 vs 3700x (I'm not brand loyal, no flames)

sonofjesse

Distinguished
Upgrading a second machine. Current setup is 8600k and gigabyte gaming 5.

Current parts purchased or reusing:
XPG S50 Lite 1TB (tier 1 on linus tech tips) (new)
Ballstix 3600mhz ddr4 CL16 (new)
Corsair 750 HXI
1050TI
Corsair 760T with LL120's RGB

I have built many systems over the years of both INTEL and AMD. I like them both. I recently just moved from my 6700k to an 3900x and super happy with it.

3700x Passmark is 22809
10700 is 17400

Amd system will give me PCI gen 4 (yes I have a gen 4 NVME). AMD comes with a better stock fan IMHO AMD system is 488 plus tax.
Intel system has lower passmark, onboard video (I'm using a card so not a huge bonus, but a small one), Intel system is 448 plus tax.

This machine does some audio recording and encoding, heavy browsing. This machine does NOT video game. I just mainly want more threads.

What would you do and give me a reason? Would you save the 40 bucks to go intel? I doubt honestly Ill be able to tell either way. I have always been happy with either brand, just want to see some opinions. Intel was not on the radar, but the prices are crazy good!

Solution
USD is currency.
Budget is cheaper is better. I don't get crazy with my builds. MB and CPU I want to spend under 500. 550 if it needs another air cooler, which I really don't' want to waste money on lol.

I'm open to going 3700x with a cheaper 450/550 board. I just want plenty of USB ports, fan headers and not junk. I used to always get the middle of the road boards 130-180, that price seems to have jumped to 200-260 for the same quality boards.............

Yea prices are a bit higher, these days. Since USB ports are important, I think this one would work.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/625143/gigabyte-b550-aorus-pro-ac-amd-am4-atx-motherboard...

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Keep in mind that for gaming, desktop use, such as that the single core and light threading use the 10700 is WELL quicker than a 3700X.

IF you go with the AMD (and honestly kind of up to you based on considered usage) I would check the mobo QVL for the memory you have on hand. Ryzen can be picky. Intel rarely cares but the speed of the RAM won't be as big a deal on performance.
Given the GPU market and in the case of a failure it would be nice to have an iGPU.

logainofhades

Titan
I guess the valid question here is what is your budget, and what currency? AMD edges out Intel, in workstation related tasks. You are going to want a better cooler, on the 10700, so keep that in mind, with regards to cost. Intel's stock coolers are pretty terrible. Personally, the better stock cooler, and no need for a super expensive motherboard, I would go with the 3700x. The Aorus elite wifi is a nice board, buy kinda overkill, for a 3700x.

sonofjesse

Distinguished

sonofjesse

Distinguished
USD is currency.
Budget is cheaper is better. I don't get crazy with my builds. MB and CPU I want to spend under 500. 550 if it needs another air cooler, which I really don't' want to waste money on lol.

I'm open to going 3700x with a cheaper 450/550 board. I just want plenty of USB ports, fan headers and not junk. I used to always get the middle of the road boards 130-180, that price seems to have jumped to 200-260 for the same quality boards.............

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
USD is currency.

Something that has been of utmost note to me is the TDP of these chips. The 3700X is that close in performance with almost half the TDP (due to process) and is not going to heat a room nearly as much. I don't think I could bear being in this room in summer with a 125TDP chip on stock clocks, much less on OC.

sonofjesse

Distinguished
Microcenter in Marietta is my closet one. Was going to order online and go pick it up.

Yea my office super hott in the summer. So lower TDP is sounding good.

I'm not overclocking so didn't figure the K chip was worth the extra 30 bucks. I always got K chips in the pass and honestly never ran overclocks (did it to test for a day.

5800x/5900x LOL, them chips are way way past my budget LOL.

My main machine is a 3900x and it's good enough for me.

Reactions: punkncat

sonofjesse

Distinguished
The 10700k is 249.99
The 10700 is 229.99
The 10700 is 219.99

I was going to pick with the 10700 to get the "GPU" for 10 bucks, I don't think a K chip is worth the 30 bucks.

That microcenter is a bit of a drive for me, but you can't beat the prices, its cheaper than Amazon or Newegg, and my last builds have come from their due to their pricing and the 20 dollar off motherboard deal.

Love the store great selection.

Can't I use the stock cooler with the 10700 chip?

Reactions: punkncat

logainofhades

Titan
USD is currency.

Yea prices are a bit higher, these days. Since USB ports are important, I think this one would work.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/625143/gigabyte-b550-aorus-pro-ac-amd-am4-atx-motherboard

625143_132605_02_front_zoom.jpg

Solution

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
The 10700k is 249.99
The 10700 is 229.99
The 10700 is 219.99

I was going to pick with the 10700 to get the "GPU" for 10 bucks, I don't think a K chip is worth the 30 bucks.

That microcenter is a bit of a drive for me, but you can't beat the prices, its cheaper than Amazon or Newegg, and my last builds have come from their due to their pricing and the 20 dollar off motherboard deal.

Love the store great selection.

Can't I use the stock cooler with the 10700 chip?
No you need a decent cooler for either processor the stock ones sux.

sonofjesse

Distinguished
You might want to wait for the reviews of 11th gen due out tomorrow.

@geofelt Well I'm not going today, but hopefully this week. I doubt the 11th gen will help me, I don't think their going to offer anything close to the 10700 for 229 will they? I'm very price focused, on decent build with LOTS of value.

@logainofhades think its worth saving 20 bucks going for the aorus elite to the Pro AC? I guess the main difference is the overclokabilty? Saving another 20 bucks would get me from 448-20=428. Which I do like cheaper :)

I hate to hear the stock cooler is that bad, cause I really hate to add the extra coin for a cooler, I know the AMD coolers are decent. I'm running stock cooler on my 3900x

I"m not stuck on these motherboard choices either, I just want decent board with lots of USB, so feel free to suggest others microcenter has :)

logainofhades

Titan
@geofelt Well I'm not going today, but hopefully this week. I doubt the 11th gen will help me, I don't think their going to offer anything close to the 10700 for 229 will they? I'm very price focused, on decent build with LOTS of value.

@logainofhades think its worth saving 20 bucks going for the aorus elite to the Pro AC? I guess the main difference is the overclokabilty? Saving another 20 bucks would get me from 448-20=428. Which I do like cheaper :)

I hate to hear the stock cooler is that bad, cause I really hate to add the extra coin for a cooler, I know the AMD coolers are decent. I'm running stock cooler on my 3900x

I"m not stuck on these motherboard choices either, I just want decent board with lots of USB, so feel free to suggest others microcenter has :)

You lose wifi, and it has 5 less USB ports. Also it looks like your Microcenter is out of of them.

Going by recent reviews by Anandtech, and Gamer's Nexus, who got a hold of a retail 11700k, 11th gen is a bit of a dud. GN literally called the 11700k a waste of sand.

sonofjesse

Distinguished
I'm sure everybody was suspense and worried on what I was going to do on this build. (joke joke).

I went with a 10700 and Z590 Aorus Pro AX. I wanted to look at the some new cheaper B560 boards since I was their, but they did not have ONE. So I found Aoruse Pro AX on the return self, that was cheaper than the elite. This has 12 USB ports on the rear IO. Which is great!!

I won't be overclocking a non K chip of course, but will run my 3600mhz with this MB and it should have great thermals being a beefy board running a NON K chip.

Using the 212 EVO fan on the 10700.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z590-AORUS-PRO-AX-rev-10#kf

470 out the door (I had the cooler), seems very reasonable for an 8/16 CHIP and "upper" tier motherboard. Considering the CPU from newegg would been 342.

MicroCenter for the win!

Now time to button up the old parts and get them in the for sale pile.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Reactions: logainofhades