Votes: 8 88.9%
  • B) DDR2-1000 5-5-5-15

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

crap73

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2006
Hey there!

I'm building a new pc during the holidays... i've chosen pretty much everything, but can't settle on which RAM to get! Anticipated build is in my sig.

I don't know if I should get

A) DDR2-800 4-4-4-10
or
B) DDR2-1000 5-5-5-15

Obviously, DDR2-1000 4-4-4-12 would be king, but I'm afraid my wallet wouldn't be happy.

So what should I get, considering I'd like to OC it as much as possible?
Oh! and I'm not sttled on TeamGroup... it just happened to be the cheapest I found with those specs.

Thanks for helping out!

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
They both are using the same chips and they both come from the same binning. They will have the same potential.
There is even a 667CL3 version that has the same potential. Pick the cheapest.

crap73

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2006
Hey thanks for the input guys!

They both are using the same chips and they both come from the same binning. They will have the same potential.
There is even a 667CL3 version that has the same potential. Pick the cheapest.

So you're saying they're phisically the same component, as if the 1000MHz is a factory OC of the 800MHz? So the memory has the same total OC potential?
Or are you saying they'll both have the same potential, because I wont be pulling enough out of it with my future system so that I reach a level where one is better than the other?

I know I won't see any real-life benefit from having such high ram right now, but I'm sort of anticipating going quad-core and DX10 next year... so if I can keep the RAM then and still get a nice OC, it'd be nice.

Those prices are outrageous. I could get the same speed ram from newegg for $200.
Looks like prices are much higher up North... most 2x1GB of PC8000 are actually 450+ :x
I consider anything under 400CAN to be quite a deal.
I'm buying this rig with scholarship money... I've got all my other needs covered and 400$ is what's left for ram. 8)
Obviously if i were to not spend all my budget, i coud find something else to do with that money, but spending it there is not a problem right now, as long as it's not a total ripoff.