BIOS mode = UEFI
CPU : INTEL Core i7 8086k 4GHz
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC
Ram: : Kingston 32 GB DDR4 4000MHz
Display : ASUS PB287Q 3840x2160 70Hz
MemoryDrive : SAMSUNG SSD 970 Pro NVMe M.2 1TB
MotherBoard : MSI Z370 A Pro E7B48IMS.280

Now to my question:

In the DeviceManager which can be found in the ControlPanel, i have installed latest drivers for most devices, but theres one thing called:
Display / Monitor, in my case this ASUS PB287Q (4k display) and im using GPU GTX 1080Ti as you saw above.
Now the question, when i klick on display it shows me this information: PnP-Monitor (Standard)
I have been reading this stands for a basic monitor which does not require any aditional software etc to properly work.
my pc is running fine with that "standard pnp" but i want to know: is there other options? can i download perhaps some sort of driver so
my pc will benefit from? i was checking the asus website for my specific display and found that there are display drivers to download but
i have litteraly NO CLUE, should i install these? and why would i or why would i not? Also i was thinking when im using a nvidia gpu 1080Ti
maybe i should download some nvidia drivers for my display if this even exists? i really have no clue.. my gpu have the latest drivers installed
but why does the device manager tell me so im using standard PnP ? does this have "anything" to do with my gpu or is it all about my display?
i mean those 2 components have alot of work together dont they ??

So simply question remaining is the PnP monitor (standard) fine or are there other options which i could benefit from?
Please also explain me why you either think standard is fine or why i should install something diffrent.
Thanks for helping!

Solution
That's just a software utility. The .inf file holding the ICC color profile is downloadable if you select Windows 7 or 8 and not Windows 8.1 or 10. It's dated May 2014 and only 9.2kB.

If the PnP Monitor driver installed itself it means the GPU driver is able to query the monitor through DDC and retrieve the monitor's EDID. There's no need for that driver to be any newer because all it does is let the GPU driver know what resolutions and refresh rates the monitor can support.

The ICC profile on the other hand supplies a 3D color map describing the unique peculiarities of the panel in response to inputs--in other words it tells the GPU driver how to produce the desired color accurately. As someone went to a...
Monitor manufacturers usually supply an .inf file to install a monitor-specific color profile. ASUS has one for that monitor available for download, but strangely only for Windows 7 and 8, not 10.

Installing the .inf would put the actual monitor name into Device Manager instead of PnP Monitor (Standard)

Help4567

BANNED
Sep 9, 2019
Thanks for your reply!

If you go to "PC Settings > System > Display > Advanced displays settings", do you see your monitor listed?

I now opened adapter settings i guess thats what you ment by advanced settings cause i could not find this option, anyways theres a window open now telling me DisplayType = Generic PnP Monitor and a administrative button saying "settings/prefferneces"

Now anoter window popedup saying,
DEVICE: display
MANUFACTURER: standarddisplaytype
SAVINGLOCATION: nvidia geforce gtx 1080ti

however, at the the top bar of this window i have 4 options to klick, default, drivers, details, events

When i navigate to drivers.... i can now see those drivers are from microsoft and the version date is :

I mean hey its working but 2006 maybe a bit outdated ?!

Help4567

BANNED
Sep 9, 2019
Monitor manufacturers usually supply an .inf file to install a monitor-specific color profile. ASUS has one for that monitor available for download, but strangely only for Windows 7 and 8, not 10.

Installing the .inf would put the actual monitor name into Device Manager instead of PnP Monitor (Standard)

Thanks for your reply!

In my display settings and also the nvidia control panel i found that i have already a bunch of diffrent color and monitor settings avaible which i could choose, i mean i dont really care if the name is pnp standrad or the actual device name i just want to know if i can benefit in anyway if i install newer drivers that are not from microsoft, propably asus if this is my manufacturer in this case.

the microsoft drivers date is 21.06.2006... outdated isnt it
well i just went to asus website and found this: driver version 2016/03/31
that is the latest avaible for my specific product for windows 10
heres the link: https://www.asus.com/Commercial-Monitors/PB287Q/helpdesk_download/

Its saying "ultiti" whatever this stands for, when i expand the driver information it says, asus multiframe software.
Now what is that supose to be? are these drivers? how would this make any change to my pc right now if i installed this? im thinking nvidia gpu is running the grpahics stuff so im woondering how would this affect my system when installing ""asus ultiti multi frame software""

Thanks for your reply!

I now opened adapter settings i guess thats what you ment by advanced settings cause i could not find this option, anyways theres a window open now telling me DisplayType = Generic PnP Monitor and a administrative button saying "settings/prefferneces"

Now anoter window popedup saying,
DEVICE: display
MANUFACTURER: standarddisplaytype
SAVINGLOCATION: nvidia geforce gtx 1080ti

however, at the the top bar of this window i have 4 options to klick, default, drivers, details, events

When i navigate to drivers.... i can now see those drivers are from microsoft and the version date is :

I mean hey its working but 2006 maybe a bit outdated ?!
Look for Advanced Display Settings.

a037ca23-ac53-42b9-bba7-eefc6540f96b

That's just a software utility. The .inf file holding the ICC color profile is downloadable if you select Windows 7 or 8 and not Windows 8.1 or 10. It's dated May 2014 and only 9.2kB.

If the PnP Monitor driver installed itself it means the GPU driver is able to query the monitor through DDC and retrieve the monitor's EDID. There's no need for that driver to be any newer because all it does is let the GPU driver know what resolutions and refresh rates the monitor can support.

The ICC profile on the other hand supplies a 3D color map describing the unique peculiarities of the panel in response to inputs--in other words it tells the GPU driver how to produce the desired color accurately. As someone went to a lot of trouble to make it, we can assume that without it and using the standard map, color rendering is not accurate. Of course you could buy a hardware monitor calibration tool to set that in the nVidia control panel even more accurately, as that would also take into account your specific panel and any phosphor aging it has suffered.

Reactions: Help4567
Solution