Question Help me, PSU overkill or perfection?

rafterman

Reputable
Jan 6, 2017
Hi guys.

I'm gonna upgrade my system to get a 3080 today. By budget is a little thin atm and I have to upgrade my PSU in order to run the new system. Atm I have 550 W which I know won't be enough. I can't afford a new 750 W one but I found a local guy who has been giving up on his mining enterprise. He is selling a monster of a PSU:

https://kst.by/kompyutery-i-komplektuyushchie/bloki-pitaniya/blok-pitaniya-zumax-zu-1650w.html

Does anyone know this brand? The power supply hasn't been used much so its fairly new. Will this do the job even though it is hugely overkil I like the idea of future proofing.

Last edited:

madmatt30

Titan
Ambassador
Second hand psu from an unknown brand?

Absolutely not.

If you can afford to upgrade your system and get a 3080 then you can afford a good quality branded gold rated 750w psu like a corsair rm/rmx/seasonic focus.

Why on earth would you be looking at an $800 gpu and not budgeting for something decent that is pretty much the heart of the system!!

That makes no sense at all.

rafterman

Reputable
Jan 6, 2017
I don't see a point in getting a 1650W psu I'd get a more well known and reliable 750W psu as that's the recommended PSU for the 3080.
I get what you are saying, but those are double the price of the 1650W one... At the least! And then maybe I will have to upgrade it again when I upgrade the CPU...

It won't run at 1650W if it don't need to right? Is there really a downside to having a big PSU?

See the first link in my signature - that is a MUST READ when it comes to choosing a PSU (and choosing what to avoid).

There are great PSUs out there, and there are garbage PSUs out there. A garbage PSU may be rated at a high wattage, but there's no guarantee that it will deliver what it promises, unless there are known, high-quality components inside.

Reactions: rafterman

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS